Maps?!

Can someone explain what the different Garmin maps do and are used for?

In the Trails category I get one map:

Topo Canada- as I understand this is best for geo caching because it has the most off trail maps?

In the Road category I get 3 maps:

-City Select® North America v7

- City Navigator® North America v8

-MetroGuide® Canada v4

Whats the difference between all the maps? Which is best for geocaching? Which is best for using on the road?

All discussion releated to CANADA

City Navigator 8, more up to date in major cities. If you plan to auto route a lot in major centers and like up to date information, you'll want this.

Metroguide Canada. Data is around 5 years old but is much, much more complete outside of major cities than CN8.

Topo Canada is auto-routable and has ALL of the same roads as MG Canada plus some trail data. It does not have POI data. It is the best single map set available if you ever go anywhere that has topography...

Can I have ~20 Topo maps as well as ~10 City Van8 maps on my GPS at once? The issue is not space, but rather if I can actually do it? How will the GPS sort them? Can I pick if I want to use Topo or City Nav maps?

Yes, you can switch between map sets with a few button presses. I have around 5 map sets in my GPS :(

Can I have ~20 Topo maps as well as ~10 City Van8 maps on my GPS at once? The issue is not space, but rather if I can actually do it? How will the GPS sort them? Can I pick if I want to use Topo or City Nav maps?

Yes. When you load maps into the GPS, you need to load them all at once. Select the City Nav maps (they would be pink) switch to topo and select the maps. Then hit the upload button.

The GPS give them sort of a priority heirarchy--Street maps, topo, basemap. It will show the street maps if they cover the same area as topo. You can Hide the street maps by using the following sequence--from the map page-->menu-->setup map-->info tab-->menu-->hide City Navigator. Then the next map in the heirarchy (topo) will show.

Topo maps are a lot smaller than street maps as far as I can tell. Would it be a good idea to get the street maps for my area (8mb) and then the topo maps for the route to my cottage (12mb). My GPS only has 24mb of memory.

How big are waypoints and routes to save?