Not Sure How To Log It?

redlights

I went out trying to find a benchmark earlier, HV0373. I'm pretty sure I found the "monument" but it seems to have been hit by a lawnmower on numerous occassions. The disk is NOT there. Do I have the right to say "Mark destroyed?" Any advise??? I have pictures but I'm not sure how to upload them to the forum.

Since the stem of the disc is still there, if the location is certain (by the description), I would call it found, and note that it is in poor condition. Some of the real surveyors here can chime in, but I believe that is what the concensus here has been in the past. It can still be used for survey purposes. Right?

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Since the stem pf the disc is still there, if the location is certain (by the description), I would call it found, and note that it is in poor condition. Some of the real surveyors here can chime in, but I believe that is what the concensus here has been in the past. It can still be used for survey purposes. Right?

I had the description with me so I'm pretty sure I was in the right place.

Good pictures.

That's pretty obviously the remnants of a disk monument.

How to log it is still a debatable question.

Purists (I'm mostly one, but not 100%) would say Didn't Find It.

The worst thing, I think, would be to log it as destroyed.

Deb at the NGS has said (I need to go find that reference) that marks with no disk, but a shank remaining are possibly still usable, and that Found, even if possibly incorrect, is preferable to Not Found or Destroyed. The main point is to state verbally what you did find and offer a picture of it. The coordinates you measured with your GPS are a great help.

Your log should state the current situation regarding the landmarks mentioned in the datasheet: the apple tree, the witness post, the distance to the centerline (I don't blame you if you don't want to measure that one). This will help substantiate your search and its results. Is the monument square? It looks like it, but you should say so.

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Pictures now uploaded. As you may be able to see from the close up - the impression of the disk is there but no disk.

On the NGS Forum FAQ's, there is a summary of NGS guidelines to describe the condition of a mark. I think your photos support reporting "Recovered in Poor Condition." Here is what NGS says about "Poor":

POOR -- Recovered, but shows some alarming evidence of damage or movement. Often the marks can get run over, or frost heaved, or the ground is just too soft to support it. If the mark is scarred and leaning (i.e. the victim of a tractor-lawnmower), thrust up from the ground like a mushroom and/or surrounded by tractor ruts, it's poor. If the disk is gone but some evidence (stem) remains, then it could still be useful; that's a POOR too. Please describe the problem you see in the notes section of the report.