Help Needed With Legend C

I'm hoping someone can help me. After accidentally breaking my garmin etrek I splashed out on a Garmin Legend C. I love the design of the new unit. It really is a nice bit of kit. BUT... I just want to geocache with it and I find myself fighting with it quite a bit. it keeps trying to be a "tom tom" street navigator when I just want it to state how far away from the cache we are and which direction to head in. Does anyone know of an idiot's guide to the unit. Or do they know how I can tweek the unit to just geocache for me. ;)

I'm hoping someone can help me. After accidentally breaking my garmin etrek I splashed out on a Garmin Legend C. I love the design of the new unit. It really is a nice bit of kit. BUT... I just want to geocache with it and I find myself fighting with it quite a bit. it keeps trying to be a "tom tom" street navigator when I just want it to state how far away from the cache we are and which direction to head in. Does anyone know of an idiot's guide to the unit. Or do they know how I can tweek the unit to just geocache for me. ;)

When navigating to a cache, select "Off Road" instead of "On Road." There's an option in a setup menu to "Always Ask" - that's the setting to tweak so you're always given the option.

I fought mine for a bit until I got the page sequence set for me. I just use these 5 pages. If I need another one I go to the Main page and bring it up. This is simple and consie for me so I'm not searching through pages when I go to use the GPS

Sattelite- when I first turn it on to see I have reception

Find page- so I go right to finding what I want to look for

Compass- go to will get you there anyhow

Odometer page- I like to have it set to 0 to see how far I have gone

Tracks- Just in case you need to back track or short cut back to the cachemobile. I also practice track back in case I really need it sometime.

I liike Track UP

WASS-on

Off Road

Make sure it's set for WGS84, and off road. I use the "Compass" page for 99% of my caching. Press the menu button when on that page and set for 3 data fields, then set them (using the menu key) for "Accuracy", Bearing" and "Distance to Destination". That gives you all you need to find the cache. Remember, you won't see a bearing or distance displayed unless you are in "Goto" mode, tracking a waypoint. Have fun!

As was stated, you'll get the best results (and therefore less frustration!) by making sure you have routing set to "Prompt" so you can tell it to use "Off Road" or "Follow Road" based on whether you're driving or caching.

I actually use a combo of both... I'll lock it to the road as I drive to the cache area, then quick "recalculate" chosing the off road option for the final hunt after I park the truck. Very handy.

It also helps to leave it in prompted mode if you also use the gps for marine use and don't feel like changing the map setup screen that often.