Visiting Winston-salem (nc)

Elde

Greetings; I'm a geocacher out here on the wet coast - but in Sept I'll be visiting my old stomping grounds in Winston. Given the constraints listed below, are there any 'must-do' caches?

-I usually do 2/2 and below. (I'm particularly limited on terrain by a bad back and shoulder and a constitutional dislike of hills and distance hikes.)

-I dislike micros except in exceptionally cool places. (I much prefer traditional caches.)

-Schedule pressures probably prevent attacking puzzles or traveling much outside of the Forsyth County area.

If anyone has any bugs I can help along by moving them to WA state - feel free to drop me a line and we'll work something out.

Thanks!

D.

I haven't been there in a while; there are too many caches between Raleigh and W-S that I keep stopping at. Not too many cachers from that area visit these forums, so I forwarded your request to someone who might be able to help out.

Thanks much!

D.

Try this one for a neat and easy find...If you are familiar at all with Clemmons, this one will be fun...Might have to scope out the area and return depending on the time.

Waypoint: GCWJZC

no danger of hurting yourself looking for it, nice theme, and fun find.

TIm

AG4RZ

I haven't been there in a while; there are too many caches between Raleigh and W-S that I keep stopping at. Not too many cachers from that area visit these forums, so I forwarded your request to someone who might be able to help out.

Try this one for a neat and easy find...If you are familiar at all with Clemmons, this one will be fun...Might have to scope out the area and return depending on the time.

That one does look fun.

Looks like there is a cluster out that way that might be interesting. (I've got one cluster I'm putting together out near the intersection of University Extension and 52, and another out Waughtown way.) I figure I'll be grabbing clusters as chance and reccomendations takes me.

Well, since I am a newbie Geocacher, I will keep you in mind while I am hunting for the next month or so. There are several clusters in the area I have mapped out. (I use Delorme's Street atlass 2006, and convert all the LOC files into comma seperated value (CSV) files to upload to my address book so I can maximize my time I get to spend.

Anyway, if you shoot me the waypoint of one of the caches in that cluster off of University, (or any others you might be interested in) I will see if I can check them out and give you an idea of the terrain.

Gone Fishing II is a hoot...a park and grap, and though I dont want to spoil it, I will say it is a very appropriate title.

That one does look fun.

Looks like there is a cluster out that way that might be interesting. (I've got one cluster I'm putting together out near the intersection of University Extension and 52, and another out Waughtown way.) I figure I'll be grabbing clusters as chance and reccomendations takes me.

GCWJZC is a great cache in the area, may be very busy during business hours. GCWJXO although it is a micro, it's not the typical micro hide, a fun cache to find. GCJ9NV is a letterbox (very entertaining) a must do if you are visiting the area. GCTGHY very easy park and find. GCWGHT - fun themed cache. Wish I had done the whole series when I was out there, I'll catch it next time. GCB79B is a virtual in town. Have fun visisting W-S. Cache on!

Well, since I am a newbie Geocacher, I will keep you in mind while I am hunting for the next month or so. There are several clusters in the area I have mapped out. (I use Delorme's Street atlass 2006, and convert all the LOC files into comma seperated value (CSV) files to upload to my address book so I can maximize my time I get to spend.

I've got a PQ that weekly pulls down 'found in the last 7 days', and I also browse with Google Earth. Before I leave, I'll make up a packet with the cache page printouts from each cache, sorted by cluster, and with area maps (from Streets & Trips) for each cluster and specific cache maps as they appear needed. Before I leave, I'll upload the waypoints to my eTrex. (I've used this method on several trips, and it works well for me.)

But I'm hoping to base as many of those clusters as possible around local reccomendations - it's not always easy to judge the value of a cache just from the cache pages.

Anyway, if you shoot me the waypoint of one of the caches in that cluster off of University, (or any others you might be interested in) I will see if I can check them out and give you an idea of the terrain.

It's roughly the group that runs NE from GCR85A to GCW7A6. I'm a graduate of North, so the idea of doing some caches around and about there tickles me. It's amazing how much that area has changed in 25 years.

GCWJZC is a great cache in the area, may be very busy during business hours. GCWJXO although it is a micro, it's not the typical micro hide, a fun cache to find. GCJ9NV is a letterbox (very entertaining) a must do if you are visiting the area. GCTGHY very easy park and find. GCWGHT - fun themed cache. Wish I had done the whole series when I was out there, I'll catch it next time. GCB79B is a virtual in town. Have fun visisting W-S. Cache on!

Some interesting looking caches there - some I'd already decided to do, others that now need re-evaluating. But, GCTGHY shows as being in Canada!

This should be a fun trip - catching up with friends and family, getting some cacheing in, and chowing down on BBQ. (You simply can't get Lexington style out here.)