Hydrocache Icon

4 More Searchers

I'd like to see a unique icon for hydrocaches. Most of the ones I've seen are categorized as a 'Traditional' cache and a few 'Multi' caches where the final stage is underwater. Since these caches really are quite different with unique challenges, I'd like to see a unique classification for them with their own icon type.

In traditional geocaching terminology, a hydrocache is a cache which can only be accessed by boat. Therefore, a cache on an island is a good example of a hydrocache. For these caches, there is a "boat requires" attribute.

The term hydrocache has not been used to indicate a cache hidden under water. I hope the lines haven't been blurred, since there is obviously a big difference between the two.

Jamie

I use the term hydrocache to refer to a cache under the surface of the water...I call one that I have to paddle to a canoe-cache...go figure...

Hydrocaches that I have placed can be identified by the cache name and by the use of the attributes (the same is true of canoe-caches that I have placed).

I'll be waiting for the geo-lingo police, and promise to go quietly...

I'm fairly certain the term "hydrocache" was coined by Clajar. Back then, his focus was on paddling, not SCUBA. The first use of the term in the forums I can turn up is here.

At that time CJ defined it as a cache that required a boat to access it.