Is Anyone Else Out There Not Getting Their Emails?

BlkSqrl413 & MrsBlkSqrl

Hello All,

Since last week's downtime, I have notice a major decrease in the number of emails that I receive from geocaching.com -- Has anyone else experienced this too?

I was getting like clockwork all of the notifications for new caches based on my preferences & this past weekend, I was not notifed of a new cache in the town that I grew up in, so I missed an easy FTF opportunity. I figured something went wrong in my profile, so I checked it, then just for good measure deleted all the notifications & resubscribed to them - still waiting to see if that helps!

Another odd email problem occurred this weekend when trying to start an account for my 12 yo daughter - no validation code email ever came to her email, so we went in and changed it to our family email & were still waiting for the code email.

Lastly, I used to always getting an email copy of the logs that I submitted for finds, but those are no longer coming to my email. I liked that feature because I would save a copy for reference. It paid off recently when we realized a cache owner had deleted our find because a picture didn't post correctly from a WebCam. We were able to repost with the exact same log that we wrote when we visited the site with a corrected picture. :rolleyes:

The only downtime I'm aware of from last week was the upgrade to the forum software. That is independent of the Geocaching.com website, unless you're referring to e-mails through the forum subscription function.

Since this isn't really a "Getting Started" issue, I am moving your thread to the Geocaching.com Forum, where you'll find some other similar topics.

The only downtime I'm aware of from last week was the upgrade to the forum software. That is independent of the Geocaching.com website, unless you're referring to e-mails through the forum subscription function.

Since this isn't really a "Getting Started" issue, I am moving your thread to the Geocaching.com Forum, where you'll find some other similar topics.

Do you have any idea how or why the email problem is occurring? Interestingly, I should have received an instant email that you had responded to my post on this forum & received nothing! :rolleyes:

Please note the other thread on the same subject. It appears to be an AOL throttling issue.

Yes, I found the other thread after I had already posted this in apparently the wrong forum. Keystone moved it over here & joined the other thread! Interestingly, Keystone said that it had nothing to do with the forums, but I am not getting forum notifications either, so apparently it is a problem with both sites and AOL. :)

I would think it does.

First, though - check your spam filter to see if it is trapping the notifications from the forums. But they may be throttling BOTH. Others (with non-AOL accounts) seem to be getting their e-mails, so it doesn't seem to be a site problem, but an AOL problem.

I know changing Providers is a real hassle, especially if you have business cards printed and letterhead and all that, but my ISP is very reliable, cheap, and allows me to have up to 100 email addresses . . . not that I know why I would need that many. :)

The different email addresses sure allow for easier filtering.

I wouldn't put up with this hassle . . . nor expect GC.com to fix what is an AOL problem.

JMHO

I would think it does.

First, though - check your spam filter to see if it is trapping the notifications from the forums. But they may be throttling BOTH. Others (with non-AOL accounts) seem to be getting their e-mails, so it doesn't seem to be a site problem, but an AOL problem.

I am certain that it is not any controls that I set in my SPAM folder. I checked there right away. AOL keeps responding that Groundspeak needs to contact this website, http://postmaster.info.aol.com/ , to rectify the problem. It would be nice to know if an attempt was made to do this? :)

AOL should not blacklist reputable sites and list providers (Fred Langa) and put the work on the people who are not to blame. :)

They have done this for years . . . abusing the use of their "blacklist" after one of their users reported a site they did not like.

AOL should not blacklist reputable sites and list providers (Fred Langa) and put the work on the people who are not to blame. :)

They have done this for years . . . abusing the use of their "blacklist" after one of their users reported a site they did not like.

We agree, but maybe the problem wasn't AOL this time & it had something to do with the software upgrade & extended downtime from last week. That's when the problems all started, so maybe Groundspeak could just check it out with AOL as show of good faith for the many geocachers that use AOL or Netscape.

Since only AOL users are having this problem, it is an AOL problem . . . that said, I'm sure Jeremy and the others are trying to resolve it.

I am also sure they would rather be working on something else.

Why would a simple software upgrade cause AOL to blacklist a site? Why does AOL repeatedly throttle emails from GC.com, even before this upgrade? irked.gif

If I was one of their customers, and I'm proud to say I never have been, I would cancel and get a new, less-expensive, more-reliable provider rather than send them any more of my money.

We agree, but maybe the problem wasn't AOL this time & it had something to do with the software upgrade & extended downtime from last week.

Nope. It's AOL.

Is your response based on contact you made with AOL? If yes, then thank you for contacting them -- we hope that they are working to fix the problem now that you, the internet site, identified it to them. If not, then do you have any suggestions on what AOL/Netscape users can do, if AOL only wants contact from you, the internet site.

Thanks

We agree, but maybe the problem wasn't AOL this time & it had something to do with the software upgrade & extended downtime from last week.

Nope. It's AOL.

Is your response based on contact you made with AOL? If yes, then thank you for contacting them -- we hope that they are working to fix the problem now that you, the internet site, identified it to them. If not, then do you have any suggestions on what AOL/Netscape users can do, if AOL only wants contact from you, the internet site.

Thanks

Jeremy posted in greater detail over in the other thread. So that he doesn't need to repeat himself, I am closing this topic as a duplicate. In hindsight, I ought to have done that in the first place. My bad.