Waymarking

N9PPA

I recommend a combined profile/stats page on groudspeak.com to cover all 3 of the sub properties. That way pure geocachers don't need to have a busy gc.com stats page but as things expand the single Groundspeak roll up could be one stop shopping.

I could go for that. I was just thinking that the Virtual Caches are the same thing as the Waymarks so the stats should reflect that. It could be on another tab.

Some people say in the forums that Virtual Caches are the same thing as Waymarks to end discussions on bringing back Virtuals. I'm not convinced that they are the same. :)

As Lil Devil said above, it would be nice to see another tab on the Geocaching profile page for Waymarking stats.

I vote for that. After being resistant to Waymarking because I didn't need another website to search, I finally started going to the site. Surprise, surprise, there were many Waymarks that hadn't even been placed yet. B) So I now own some. B)

And, in order to place some Waymarks, I even had to become a "Group" leader. Who knew? :)

It would be nice to have those Stats on a Tab on my GC.com Profile page. :)

QUOTE(N9PPA @ Jul 24 2006, 06:03 AM)

I could go for that. I was just thinking that the Virtual Caches are the same thing as the Waymarks so the stats should reflect that. It could be on another tab.

Some people say in the forums that Virtual Caches are the same thing as Waymarks to end discussions on bringing back Virtuals. I'm not convinced that they are the same.

As Lil Devil said above, it would be nice to see another tab on the Geocaching profile page for Waymarking stats.

I don't think they are the same but you can't do a virtual any more.

Miragee, I don't want to search two search two websites for locations ro stats.

Edited by N9PPA

Since Waymarking got its start last summer, I was surprised it wasn't more "mature" when I visited it a couple months ago to check for WiFi hotspots in the San Diego area and found out there were none. :)

I think the plan is for the two sites to somehow, someday be "blended," but if the Waymark tabs were added to a Geocacher's Profile now, it might generate more interest in a Site that definitely needs more users to make it more useful now. :o

aa0c7720-74be-4af0-9ed1-22bcaab976da.jpg

If people suddenly saw those tabs in their Profile, all the "icon collectors" would soon want to visit the Waymark site to collect icons for both Owned and Visited sites. :(

I wonder how many Geocachers even know about Waymarking now? icon_smile_question.gif

I don't think they are the same but you can't do a virtual any more.

Miragee, I don't want to search two search two websites for locations ro stats.

To clarify, you can still find virtuals since they've been grandfathered. I still run across fun ones.

If you want to place a new virtual, that's no longer allowed. I'm not TPTB, so I won't tell you to go Waymarking instead. :( After reading through countless threads and hearing all sides on the issue, I conclude that the process of approving virtuals were TOO subjective, and caused needless headaches to everyone.

I don't think Waymarking is a replacement of that, although it seemed to have replaced Locationless, which is a topic for another thread.

I'm hoping virtuals come back to Geocaching some day, but I'm definitely not holding my breath, especially since the sport/hobby's demographics have changed significantly (and irreversibly) since when I started in 2004.

Our intent is to eventually combine all the stats on the profile page. Where the profile page ultimately goes is still debatable, but we're planning to combine them at some point.

However you won't see the visit count from Waymarking joined directly with the established find count on the site. It would just create more confusion. I expect it will be more like a new stats bar that has this info.

Our intent is to eventually combine all the stats on the profile page. Where the profile page ultimately goes is still debatable, but we're planning to combine them at some point.

However you won't see the visit count from Waymarking joined directly with the established find count on the site. It would just create more confusion. I expect it will be more like a new stats bar that has this info.

This is all I wanted at the start.

I am new to Waymarking and wanted to place a Virtual and did't know that you couldn't do that, so I am trying to make a Waymark. It would be nice to see all stats on one page even if it is on another tab.

Man, I've been visiting every waymark I can, and I would love to see them count as smilies! Finds++!!

I'd love to see a Waymarking catagory started for geocaches so that my geocaching finds could also count as waymark finds.

There is already a benchmark catagory and it works great. I think a geocaching catagory would work just as well.