Sorting Of Cachelist

Kalkendotters

When I request a cachelist, this is sorted on de date; however in some circumstances this leads to problems in the sorting: when you request the list a second time the order of the caches is different.

As long as all the caches with the same date stay on one page it is not really a problem, however if they are split on pagebounderies you will get part of the caches from the first page also on the second page; missing caches that should be on the second page, but are now on the first page.

See for example the list of new caches in the Netherlands where 29 caches are added on the 19th of july: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit3=GO

Go there and refresh the page a few times, you will see the caches change place.

This also seems to happen on other cachelists based on dates, like found-by-cacher and placed-by-cacher

Simple solution would be to also sort it on GC-code or on the guid.

Edited by Kalkendotters

As a premium member, you can use Pocket Queries - and open the results in third party software like GSAK. Then you can sort the caches any way you want.

Yes I know.

I can also write down the caches on a piece of paper in the order I would like...

It is just that when I request information via a webpage it should be consistent in the way it is presented, and not use some arbitrary/non-repeatable sort. Causing users to sometimes mis a cache.

You missed my point.

Pocket Queries were implemented so that people can sort or filter caches any way they want - offline - so as not to hit the server with too many requests that effectively shut down the database.

If you want them to sort the SAME way each time, try the advanced sort. Here's the Netherlands. These are ALWAYS sorted by date hidden, so the most recent ones are on top.

You missed my point.

Pocket Queries were implemented so that people can sort or filter caches any way they want - offline - so as not to hit the server with too many requests that effectively shut down the database.

If you want them to sort the SAME way each time, try the advanced sort. Here's the Netherlands. These are ALWAYS sorted by date hidden, so the most recent ones are on top.

You have seemd to miss MY point...

The link above will give the most recent caches sorted by date, but just by date. So any cache activated on the same day can be either on the top or on the bottom of the caches for that day.

This means that if you jump to page 2, you might see some caches you already saw on page 1; and miss other completely.

Try to refresh the page a couple of times, you will be amazed

You missed my point.

You have seemd to miss MY point...

The link above will give the most recent caches sorted by date, but just by date. So any cache activated on the same day can be either on the top or on the bottom of the caches for that day.

This means that if you jump to page 2, you might see some caches you already saw on page 1; and miss other completely.

And just why are you refreshing the page so many times?? (Markwell's point)

For same day listings I'll make sure that the result is consistent. I can see how this would be useful if you are occasionally visiting the page to see what caches are newly added to the site.

The change will be available sometime next week.

Edited by Jeremy

And just why are you refreshing the page so many times?? (Markwell's point)

The problem is that showing the second page is like doing a refresh on the page and the second page doesnt show the rest that coulnt fit on page one. You could get e.g.

page1:

cache1

cache2

cache3

(invisible page2:

cache4

cache5

cache6)

If you now click through to page 2 you could get:

(invisible page1:

cache3

cache2

cache5)

page2:

cache6

cache1

cache4

Missing cache 5, and seeing cache1 two times.

I hope this example makes it clear.

For same day listings I'll make sure that the result is consistent. I can see how this would be useful if you are occasionally visiting the page to see what caches are newly added to the site.

The change will be available sometime next week.

Thanks

As long as its consistent, I can live with it.