Thrift Stores Subcategory Needed For Stores/retail

Next to Geocaching and hunting for treasure that way, I love going to Thrift Stores. So, yesterday when I was in San Diego, I visited a few and took pictures and got the coordinates, but now I don't know where to put them. :laughing:

Under the Stores/Retail catagory, there are only these subcategories:

• Antique Shops

• Mom and Pop Rock Shops

• Bicycle Shops

• Quilt Shops

• Independent Music Stores

• Shop24 Machines

It also states: Users are not permitted to create Waymarks for this category. :laughing:

Could a Sub-category for Thrift Stores be added here, or somewhere? Or, did I just miss the location while doing the searches? :laughing:

Next to Geocaching and hunting for treasure that way, I love going to Thrift Stores. So, yesterday when I was in San Diego, I visited a few and took pictures and got the coordinates, but now I don't know where to put them. B)

Under the Stores/Retail catagory, there are only these subcategories:

• Antique Shops

• Mom and Pop Rock Shops

• Bicycle Shops

• Quilt Shops

• Shop24 Machines

It also states: Users are not permitted to create Waymarks for this category. :laughing:

Could a Sub-category for Thrift Stores be added here, or somewhere? Or, did I just miss the location while doing the searches? B)

The reason for the statement about not being permitted to create waymarks for the category, is that Retail Stores is a master category. Actually, the terminology is very confusing since there is actually only ONE level that accepts categories, which is the Category, as I understand it. There is just a tree structure to organize them, so the end category may be several levels down. If you want to call these sub, sub-sub categories, then I guess we can. So, the subcategories listed above are where the individual waymarks go.

Certainly a category for thrift stores could be created, and it would probably be placed as a sub-category along with the others mentioned above.

So, if you would like to do this, create a management group, recruit members (either privately or through open enrollment), create your category, have your officers approve it, then submit it for peer review, and if it passes -- there it is!

Personally, I think it would be a fine category. There are times I'd like to know where one is, and if I'm not familiar with the area, they are tough to find.

Sheesh . . . why does this have to be so hard? :wub: I mean . . . Stores/Retail . . . how difficult a Category is that?

Why should someone have to create a Group, recruit members, go for Peer Review to be accepted or rejected . . . just to post coordinates for a Store/Retail that sells second-hand goods. faint.gif

This seems like category overkill to me . . . :lol:

Couldn't a category like Stores/Retail just accept new Stores/Retail without having to go through all that stuff . . . ? :wub:

That being said, anyone want to join a new Stores/Retail Thrift Store group? :P

Sheesh . . . why does this have to be so hard? :o I mean . . . Stores/Retail . . . how difficult a Category is that?

Why should someone have to create a Group, recruit members, go for Peer Review to be accepted or rejected . . . just to post coordinates for a Store/Retail that sells second-hand goods. faint.gif

This seems like category overkill to me . . . :o

Couldn't a category like Stores/Retail just accept new Stores/Retail without having to go through all that stuff . . . ? :unsure:

That being said, anyone want to join a new Stores/Retail Thrift Store group? :laughing:

The main reason for specific categories is to make searching easier. I don't want to see any coffee shops if what I'm searching for is record stores. Yes, the creation process can be cumbersome for the uninitiated but fortunately it only must be done once and for all time.

The consensus has been if you aren't really passionate about a category you shouldn't manage it. Therefore if you aren't up for the inconvenience of going through the process you probably aren't the right person for the task.

This is the proverbial you thing, not you specifically. But lazy people don't make great category managers.

We'll do our best as the system gets refined to make it easier to navigate, but the process itself seems to be pretty solid. We are receiving some genuinely interesting categories by great managers.

I personally think that the use by the op and many others of the word sub- Categories is confusing the op. and many others. This is a perfect example that is not understood that we can not ever create sub-categories or even suggest that they be created, and when told no there is confusion. We can only create Categories, and Thrift Stores I think would be a viable Category, once created then TPTB place the Category and I could almost say with accuracy that it would be placed exactly where you have mentioned but these are not sub- categries they are all categories that have been placed in respective places by design.

What the op is calling sub-categories is not understood by the op that they are not sub-categories

Antique Shops

• Mom and Pop Rock Shops

• Bicycle Shops

• Quilt Shops

• Shop24 Machines

All of these mentioned by the op are NOT sub-Categories they are all Categories managed by different management teams. The term sub-category is still so confusing to the newer waymarkers and I think it is causing alot of misunderstanding and plenty of frustration with Waymarking.

Edited by chstress53

The consensus has been if you aren't really passionate about a category you shouldn't manage it. Therefore if you aren't up for the inconvenience of going through the process you probably aren't the right person for the task.

This is the proverbial you thing, not you specifically. But lazy people don't make great category managers.

We'll do our best as the system gets refined to make it easier to navigate, but the process itself seems to be pretty solid. We are receiving some genuinely interesting categories by great managers.

I will be happy to manage the Group if it every gets started. :D

I guess the problem I have had with Waymarking is that I thought it was further along, and I obviously didn't understand its "organization." :( When I came to the site a few weeks ago to post something . . . a Bedrock Mortar . . . I was surprised there was no place to put it. . . :D

So, I created the Ancient Evidence Group, got members, got it through Peer Review, all just to post my Bedrock Mortar site. faint.gif

Since I love going to Thrift Strores, I assumed there was a place to put them. That is why I got the coordinates and took pictures of three of them the other day when I went into San Diego.

I guess I have just had bad luck so far, but I sure thought after all this time, the site was mature enough to post some Thrift Stores . . . <_<

If I get enough members to get the Group going, I'll take care of it -- I have lots of time on my hands -- and I'll continue to put Waymarks in it and hope all the other Waymarkers do too. :D

That said, does anyone reading this want to join my Bargain Hunters group . . . :D

Your description of this group is too narrow. There are lots of second hand stores that are not run by non profit organizations. Limiting this category to ones run by Goodwill, etc. is too limiting. If you expand the definition to all 2nd hand resale / thrift shops, then I have no problem with that.

I went to a resale shop yesterday, and it would not have met the requirements as it is currently written because it is run by a lady as her business. I don't think she is a non profit organization. But I could be wrong.

My 2 cents. Take it or leave it.