Tb Clarification

Lovin'Life

Have yet to find a cache with a TB, have read the guide to TB's and all that. I think I know the answer, just want to be sure.

When we find a cache with a TB 1) Is it just a number/code? 2) Is there a physical item/dog tag in the cache? 3) if yes, do we remove it & then place it in another cache? 4) Are TB's a 'virtual' type item that travel by their codes being 'picked up' (as in written down on paper) then logged onto the computer?

Maybe it will all make sense when I find a TB, but my mind wants to know 'now' :-)

Thanks

Patricia

1) no. it's usually a small object (although some can be a bowling ball or a car or a person!!) such as toy cars, teddies, piece of wood(!!) that has the TB dog tag attached to it. each Dog tag has a number on it, which is what you need to log it on the website. (make sure you note down this number!)

2)yes see above

3)you don't HAVE to remove it, but you CAN if you want to. Also, they usually have a mission (e.g. "go to canada") and if you can help it on their mission, defo take it :lol: however, if you, for instance, know that you won't be caching for 4 weeks, then it's probably best to leave it there.

4) not sure on this one, i read somewhere about virtual TBs.... that they don't have anymore (thread titled locked TBs or something...) but NORMALLY, it is a physical TB that you take out and put into caches.

Ok, so I take the item with the TB dog tag attached FROM the cache where it is at. Then I physically move it to another cache that is big enough to hold it, that I found correct? Then log it here showing that is was picked up & moved, etc.

So, someone who makes a goal of their TB going to every theme park in the USA...literally wants someone to take their TB & item it is attached to, to a them park. I assume this would be done by someone picking up the TB/item it is on, removing from cache, taking to a theme park in the area, taking picture, then puting TB into a different cache to see where it goes next. Do I have the scenario correct?

I think what confuses me is some TB's seem to have goals of 'international' travel. How can they do that if they start out in a Cache in CA, for example??? They just go from one physical cache to another until someone picks them up & takes them over seas?

Thanks for helping me get a grasp on this. No doubt it is so simple. I am just a VISUAL learner to the MAX, so I have to "SEE" the steps in my mind to get an idea of what it is I am supposed to do... LOL Reading it just makes me confused!

Patricia

yup you got the scenario right with the theme park one. and on how to take the TB out and logging it :lol:

with the international travel, and in fact with any mission, you don't have to COMPLETE its mission for them. take it and help it along, if for example, you know you're going to a cache CLOSER to the goal than it is at the moment, even it if is only by few miles! it's just as interesting to see where the TB travels to en route to the mission goal.

the only time i don't bother taking a TB is if i'm going the opposite way to where it wants to go!!

have you had a look for another cacher in your area? it might be easier if you can go caching with them a few times so you get to see what's done :P

Is there a way to look for other cachers in my area on here? or how would I find them?

One great way to meet other geocachers in your area is to attend a geocaching event. Events, which are hosted by local geocachers, are held at various locations throughout the year. In fact, here's one happening tomorrow in Cerritos.

The other thing you might want to do is to visit the Southern California Geocachers web site.

Hi Patricia, welcome to the fun!!! The kiddos and I recently picked up a travel bug named 'Yogi', a small plastic bear, that originated in Massachusetts and had traveled all over the US and Canada in his quest to get to Yellowstone Nat'l Park and then back home. He had finally made it to YNP this winter, after 2 years of adventuring, and was heading back home when we picked him up here in Wyoming. We were on our way to the Black Hills of South Dakota the next weekend so we decided to take him with us. We took him to Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Crazy Horse memorial, Sturgis, Custer State Park, to tops of mountains, fire watch towers, 1880 gold mines, and lastly 'Bear Country USA' (seemed like a good place to take a bear :D ) We took pictures of him everywhere that we went, to send to his family back home, it became a competition between the kids to find the coolest spot to take his picture... They were all bummed to see him have to go.....Just thought that I would share a TB story with ya'--Gary and the rest of Team5150

Edited by team5150

Thank You for the stories. It makes a lot more sense now. I did pick up a TB yesterday & physically having it in my hands helped clarify things for me. I bet my questions seem so odd to people at times. So much so that sometimes I think I should make a warning statement on my posts about 'how I think' to clarify why I am asking such odd questions!

You see 1) I am a nurse, so it is my nature & it is ingrained in me to ANALYZE & use 'critical thinking' type skills in everything 2) I find my self seeking 'clear & specific' directions. I can think on my feet, improvise & all that...but I am not used to 'guessing' or 'filling in the blanks' :-) In my field, guessing is not an option LOLOL

Being a visual learner in nursing school was tough. Read it in a book? Oh no, in one ear & out the other! ..Please take me TO the hospital & SHOW me!!

Your input & stories made it so I could visualize what a TB was meant to do. It was perfect :-)

Patricia

Maybe my motto should be "Don't tell me, Show me" :D

One other thing that I'm not sure has been metioned yet. You really log each TB twice. Once ASAP after you find it. and then a second time when you drop it in a new cache - this second posting is part of logging you visit to that cache, but also creates a drop log for the TB which you can edit to add different or more info than you did for the cache log.