Gps Waypoint Accuracy...

Hiya,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how typical this accuracy is from my GPS receiver.

All of the odd numbered wapoints were taken from one location, and all of the even numbered ones were taken from another. I had an unobstructed view of the sky and my receiver was showing strong locks from at least 4 satellites when each waypoint was taken. Also, I did my best to stand in exactly the same spot at each location. I made my appraches from different directions each time. Finally, I powered down the unit after I had taken two readings at each location (i.e. I powered down betweens points 4 and 5 and between points 8 and 9).

My question is whether it is normal to get this kind of spread when taking readings as I have. I'm questioning the accuracy of my GPSr and I'm not sure if it's a problem with my GPS or if these results are typical.

Heres a link to a GPX file containing the 12 waypoints.

Thanks a ton for anyone who can help,

Perry

http://home.hiwaay.net/~perryc/wpttest.gpx

My question is whether it is normal to get this kind of spread when taking readings as I have. I'm questioning the accuracy of my GPSr and I'm not sure if it's a problem with my GPS or if these results are typical.

Heres a link to a GPX file containing the 12 waypoints.

Thanks a ton for anyone who can help,

Perry

http://home.hiwaay.net/~perryc/wpttest.gpx

Loaded to GPSMAP76CSx.

A bit wide but not statistically significant--fairly typical from what you describe as the process. Within the typical GPSr positional error, not conclusive as significantly larger than a typical WAAS positional error. For units of this type.