Any Ppc Nav Software That Import .gpx Files?

Do any of the common navigation programs for PPC (iGuidance, Mapopolis, etc) import POIs from .gpx files? I use my PPC for both driving and caching. I'm heading on a 5000+ mile trip to the pacific northwest in a few days, and would like the nav package I use while driving to display caches so i can spot any I may be passing close by along my route.

I see that GSAK will export to "Tom Tom POI File", which suggests that Tom Tom supports this, but I was unable to find any info on Tom Tom's web site about this capability. Is anybody familiar with this, or with any other packages that can do this?

Thanks.

Greg

Olathe KS

Do any of the common navigation programs for PPC (iGuidance, Mapopolis, etc) import POIs from .gpx files? I use my PPC for both driving and caching. I'm heading on a 5000+ mile trip to the pacific northwest in a few days, and would like the nav package I use while driving to display caches so i can spot any I may be passing close by along my route.

I see that GSAK will export to "Tom Tom POI File", which suggests that Tom Tom supports this, but I was unable to find any info on Tom Tom's web site about this capability. Is anybody familiar with this, or with any other packages that can do this?

Thanks.

Greg

Olathe KS

If you are a premium member to GC.com you can run a "Cache alone a Route" PQ and sent that to GSAK. If you are not a member you can become one for only $3 a month. It is worth it for that benefit alone.

TomTom will do it, but I don't know how as I have no experience with it. Mapopolis will also do it with a PC program called gpxtomaplet ("Maplets" are the Mapopolis term for custom POIs). You run the gpx file through the program and it spits out a customized maplet file that you transfer to the PPC. Using GSAK, you can set it up to transfer whatever type of information you'd like to display (cache ratings, cache type, container, etc.) The latest versions of Mapopolis also have proximity alerts where you can set it up to tell you when you are within a certain distance of a certain type of maplet. For example, you could set it up to alert you when you are within a half mile of a maplet in the geocache category. You, of couse would set up the geocache category in advance.

If you are a premium member to GC.com you can run a "Cache alone a Route" PQ and sent that to GSAK. If you are not a member you can become one for only $3 a month. It is worth it for that benefit alone.

I am a PM, and that's what I'm doing to get the caches into BeelineGPS, which is the software I'm using for caching. What I'm asking about is how to get the caches into nav software for driving. Thanks for the input, though.

... Mapopolis will also do it with a PC program called gpxtomaplet ...

Thanks. I have heard that Mapopolis has a downloadable trial or demo version, so I can check that out.

Greg

Edited by Grumparoo

I have done this for all the caches in the UK in Tom Tom. Use GSAK as you said to export for TT - this will produce an ov2 file (I call it UK_Geocaches) then create a bmp icon with the same name - I used the GC logo (needs to be about 20 x 20 I think). then copy both files into your main TT map directory - you may seee some ov2 files there all ready.

Then you will see caches by their icon as you drive by - you may need to zoom out to get a better picture

I do this using TT Navigator....use GSAK to create large cache file.

Then export as TT POI file. Put on PPC and activate the new POI Category for display.

The caches then showup in TT Navigator while driving. Cool but aggravating because

it doesn't show cache name until you browse map and tap on Cache/POI.

What is really cool is if you are not familar with area and you use TT to "Navigate to" the custom POI.

That is almost cheating but it saves alot of time trying to figure out where to turn etc.

Also have navteq software but have not tried the custom POIs in it.

I am not a premium member because I refuse to pay for use of public data

just because I use a PDA. I think my setup and a few secrets work fine.

Forgot to mention that you can do the same thing in BeeLine or other PPC GPS app

as long as zoom is out but I don't like that.

Edited by jeeperCreeper