Garmin 72 & 76 On Sale

My Academy sporting goods store here in town has the Garmin 72 and 76 on sale. I noticed that both of these said "Marine" on the front but figure they also work on land too maybe.

Anyways, I have a Garmin Legend I use and am trying to figure out if I need to buy something else for me and hand my Legend down to my son or just buy him a Legend also.

Anyone have thoughts on what either the 72 or 76 would do for geo-caching compared to the Legend?

Thanks again.

Rick

To compare the technical specs go here. The 72 and 76 both have a quad antenna while the Legend uses a patch style antenna. Some say the quad is better under tree cover but there's much debate about this.

Your Legend is a much smaller unit so I'd suggest you handle the 72 or 76 (both use the same case) before you buy it to see if like the larger form factor.

Bump-Bump

Nobody know anything about the 72 or 76 compared to a Legend?

Thanks again.

I haven't used the "straight" 76 but I've used the 76CS and the 76CSx. The size doesn't bother me except that you can't very well pretend it's a cell phone when muggles are around. I loved the 76CS and I like the 76CSx even more. Your mileage may vary since, as the person above stated, the legend is much smaller in the hand.

don't think the 72 or 76 would be an improvement over the Legend. In fact some might call them a step back. Neither is a mapping unit like the Legend. Also they only hold 500 waypoints while the Legend holds 1,000.

You may see some improvement in reception, but at the cost of the compact size of the Legend, waypoint capacity and loss of mapping capability, I personally would take the Legend over the GPS 72 or GPS 76.

Now if you're talking the MAP 76, that changes things a bit, but not much. A Map 76S however would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Legend, but for that money you can get a Venture CX or Legend CX which would be a significant uprade from the Legend.

Edited by briansnat

Both 72 and 76 are rather old GPS from Garmin

They do not have memory to store maps, so you can not buy map and use with this GPS.

Try to get a Legend Cx or a 60Cx. They are more expensive, but you will be a lot happier in the log run.

I got the GPS 76 and am returning it for the GPSMAP 76. The 76 is great for marine uses, but doesn't have the memory for maps. Although it did well for geocaching in areas that I was familiar with, it would not do for new areas. Also, the MAP 76 has 8 MB of RAM that you can fill up instead of the 1 MB of the plain 76. For an extra $50 at Radioshack.com (not in stores), it is worth it.

Karl