Egnos Now Productive

Now the same things begin in Europe as we have in the US: people will start complaining about unreliable WAAS signals until Garmin/SIRF changes the firmware again. :laughing:

Egnos signal became productive at begin of july and changed satellites as you can read here:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/egnos/estb/egnos_pro.htm

Excerpt:

Dear EGNOS User, please note the following EGNOS status and planning information:

* Starting from June 2006, the signal broadcast by the EGNOS satellite IOR-W (PRN 126) will be used for EGNOS Initial Operations.

* Starting from June 2006, the EGNOS satellite ARTEMIS (PRN 124) will be used by Industry to perform various tests on the system

* Starting from July 2006, the signal broadcast by the EGNOS satellite AOR-E (PRN120) will be used for EGNOS Initial Operations.

The EGNOS system is now ready to broadcast, as of the beginning of July 2006, a continuous signal, including the so-called "Message Type 0/2" allowing to offer a graceful transition from ESTB ( Egnos System Test Bed) to EGNOS for GNSS user communities. Note that the ESTB signal which is being broadcast by the Satellite AOR-E (PRN120) will be reverted to the EGNOS initial operations starting from July 2006, and therefore the ESTB will be formally stopped by end June 2006.

The EGNOS signal broadcast on PRN126 and PRN120, will use the MT0/2 and the Band 9 of the Ionospoheric grid. This Ionospheric Band 9 will improve the EGNOS performance in the Northern European latitudes.

The addition of MT0/2 into the system is a significant milestone in the development of EGNOS for users of non-safety of life services. MT0/2 will allow all receiver units, at their own risk, to process and use the corrections broadcast by EGNOS for multimodal non-safety of life applications.

The use of EGNOS SIS until announcement of system Availability for non-safety of life service should normally provide users with excellent accuracy performance, but interruptions in EGNOS signal broadcast from one or several GEO satellite cannot be excluded. Note that the EGNOS SIS is currently provided without any warranties regarding availability, continuity, accuracy, and reliability. The EGNOS SIS is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. Until further notice, messages associated with the EGNOS SIS are not certified for Civil Aviation or other safety critical purposes.

Edited by NewZealand

I've not noticed any 'D's in London yet... maybe I should look more often

*Edit:

or, at least, look at the Internet if not the GPSr...

This chap seems to think not all satellites are working yet for SiRFstarIII (GPSMAP60 CS types) and the impact for accuracy is not that clear cut.

Edited by kyot

With my Vista CX I've picked up correction signals from both 33 and 39 in central London since late June. As mentioned you get Ds on the corrected satellites. Depending on geometry I'v had quoted accuracy at 1 or 2m. Today though 12m was the best I could get in Differential mode because of poor geometry.

With my Vista CX I've picked up correction signals from both 33 and 39 in central London since late June. As mentioned you get Ds on the corrected satellites. Depending on geometry I'v had quoted accuracy at 1 or 2m. Today though 12m was the best I could get in Differential mode because of poor geometry.

Today was the first time I've seen anything! Probably because I hadn't done a hard-reset since EGNOS was turned on.

Only +/-11-13ft (4-5m) not that much better than without. Cloudy day - so worst case for GPS all round?

186676195_fdf2ecaa82_m.jpg

Taken on Primrose Hill, London - about as good a view of the sky as you'll get anywhere in London - facing due south here.

Edited by kyot