Google Maps, Pocket Queries And Pda

In the UK I use memory map 1:25000 and download the little red flags onto the map. This I then transfer to the PDA and bingo....

I assume most paperless cachers out there also do this....

Now Portugal is a different matter.... Memory map have not published any maps yet, apart from a large scale road map which is useless for geocaching.

I notice that when you create a pocket query you can click on google maps and you can then go to a map showing caches on the map down to street level.

Obviously I can print page and travel with these or THE BIG QUESTION

Does anyone know if it is possible to download googlemaps to the PDA ?

You should be able to do a 'print screen' to copy the currently viewed screen to the clipboard. Then paste into your favorite graphics from there you can crop it to just the map, and save out to a jpg file. That image should be importable into Memory Map, where you can use the base mapping (and/or caches loaded via a GPS/Pocket Query) to correctly orientate it.

Then using your pocket query you can put flags on the map, and this should be then be exportable to your PDA as normal.

Having said that I haven't tried this with custom maps, but it should be possible, and I don't advocate this for anything but STRICT personal use only.

You can follow the process as described by Barry Hunter using the OziExplorer programs for PC and Pocket PC. You need the PC version to create and calibrate your own maps. It's an excellent and flexible program, certainly capable of more than I've seen done with Memory Map or Anquet, but obviously let down in the UK by the tight controls that the OS place on their mapping images. There are trial versions of both software products available for download:

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Funnily enough the fact I can't just buy OS map images then calibrate them myself in Ozi is why I'm now looking at buying Memory Map too. From my reading of the website, the OS version of Memory Map specifically doesn't allow for importing and calibrating your own maps - for that you would need the other version, which then doesn't come with the OS mapping, so you'd end up having to buy both I think. If I've got this wrong, I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right...

Ah yes, I found afterwards my 'OS' version of MM won't import overlays, but I definitily know others do, so I guess you need another version of MM.

MM v5 Help file says:

Self Scan Maps

Note: Memory-Map Ordnance Survey Editions do not support the creation or use of self-scanned maps.

Commercially available maps are reliable and inexpensive. Scanning your own maps will involve a considerable amount of time and effort, and the clarity and accuracy of the result may not be as good.

However, you can scan your own maps and load them into Memory-Map navigator, as follows.

Scan the map image, and determine reference points.

Give the map a name, add search keywords, a copyright notice, and other meta-data.

Add calibration points to associate the X,Y coordinates in the image with geographic positions on the earth.

Add a boundary polygon so MMNav knows the geographic area covered by the map.

I assume MMNav is a different beast.

You should be able to do a 'print screen' to copy the currently viewed screen to the clipboard.

Sounds good... but can you tell me how to do this !

Hold down the shift key and hit the "Prnt Scrn" key. The "Prnt Scrn" key is usually just to the right of the F12 key - but have a good look around your keyboard.