Travelbugs On People

imfrog2002

Instead of just dropping a TB/Coin into a cache and leaving it there for someone else to pick up, some of us carry a TB/Coin as a personal tracker. It's Dipped (dropped and retrieved) through visited caches and or shared with other cachers met on the trail to log as Discovered.

Now there may be people who tattoo the TB/Coin tracking number on themselves, but most just carry it, attach it to their car, or thier dog's collar. That type of thing.

I have one that was going to be a normal TB and sent out like the others, but I made the TB cardinal sin of getting too attached to it (it's a little cute hedgehog keyring). so now it's on my geocaching bag and it goes to every cache i go to. when i get home, I log it in to the cache then out again. It's also a nice way of tracking the distance between all the caches you have found, but I know if you live in UK, it does that for you anyway. he's my caching bud :anicute:

How does it work? I've heard about people (and dogs, and Jeeps...) that wear Travel Bugs, but how do they work, and are they really Travel Bugs? *is a little confused*

I've read all about this. First you need to get your ear pierced. Depending on which ear you wear the TB tag in other people at event caches are supposed to be able to tell your caching preference and whether you prefer traditional caches or are open to more adventuresome multi-caches. :anicute:

I use my TB tag for tracking my travels... whoa (sounds like a tongue twister). Anyway, I borrowed the idea from a cacher I met in Iraq. Using it this way creates a lot of work when logging finds, though.

I'll log it in and out of any cache I find; I have used it at an event, too, so the people I met could log it. Then I'd have a permanent log to help remember where & when we met. I'll use it the same way if I met someone on the trail as well.

As far as DNF's, I don't log it. I mean I'll log the DNF but I don't make it common practice to virtually drop and grab the TB (OK, I think maybe I did virtually drop it two times at 2 different DNF's but that should be it). Anyway, for that reason it isn't entirely accurate for recording ALL my travels.

My TB is TBJWYP with 41,000+ miles since 1 JAN 06... interesting.

What do other cachers think of this idea, anyway? And by the way, the cacher in Iraq was planning to release his TB somewhere with a new mission: to see who gets home first -- the cacher or the TB... I hope HE wins the race. I'm gonna go back and check up on his TB now. Thanks.

EDIT: Nope, the Iraq cacher still has it on his person.

Edited by CoyoteTrust

What do other cachers think of this idea, anyway?

Which part? Yes I have a personal TB and am setting up one of the coins I have just for logging other cachers I meet on the trail or at an event.

Logging DNFs? No, I'll log every visit even to my own cache, but no cache, no log.