76csx Belt Clip?

Trying to decide between a 60 CSx and 76 CSx but the one thing keeping me from the 76 is that dang belt clip. I really like clipping radios onto my backpack harness and being able to easily pop it off when necessery and i imagine its the same for this. Does anyone know of an accessory that would provide this for the 76? Ive looked but could only find a pouch which i would suspect also blocks the satellites!

Also, ive read the 76 does tide information while the 60 doesnt. Can someone help explain if this is true and what that means exactly? I occasionally go boating with my in-laws so it might come in handy.

Thanks for any help here!

With the csx units they are identical now in function and software maps and all. The only difference is the form factor and the size of memory card that comes with it. The 76 floats and the 60 almost floats...

I think the 76 might come with a 100 rebate now....thats what I would get if true.

Trying to decide between a 60 CSx and 76 CSx but the one thing keeping me from the 76 is that dang belt clip. I really like clipping radios onto my backpack harness and being able to easily pop it off when necessery and i imagine its the same for this. Does anyone know of an accessory that would provide this for the 76? Ive looked but could only find a pouch which i would suspect also blocks the satellites!

Also, ive read the 76 does tide information while the 60 doesnt. Can someone help explain if this is true and what that means exactly? I occasionally go boating with my in-laws so it might come in handy.

There isn't any threaded hole in the back for a belt clip attachment so AFAIK the only option you have is to use a pouch of some sort. That's what I had to do with my 76C. It's also one of the reasons I went with a 60 series when I upgraded to an X model.

BTW, you don't need to worry about the pouch blocking signals. I still sometimes use a pouch and my 60CSx has no problems retaining a lock while sitting in a pouch that is attached to the side of my camera bag which is held close to my body via a chest harness arrangement. The only time the x model loses signal is when I go into a tunnel. I've yet to lose signal lock while in the woods.

GeoBC

There isn't any threaded hole in the back for a belt clip attachment so AFAIK the only option you have is to use a pouch of some sort. That's what I had to do with my 76C. It's also one of the reasons I went with a 60 series when I upgraded to an X model.

BTW, you don't need to worry about the pouch blocking signals. I still sometimes use a pouch and my 60CSx has no problems retaining a lock while sitting in a pouch that is attached to the side of my camera bag which is held close to my body via a chest harness arrangement. The only time the x model loses signal is when I go into a tunnel. I've yet to lose signal lock while in the woods.

GeoBC

Thanks Geo, which pouch were you using for your 76?

Thanks Geo, which pouch were you using for your 76?

Originally used an M16 ammo pouch clipped to my backpack's shoulder strap. Currently I use a Tamrac small P&S camera pouch. There's room to store some stickers for placing in log books, spare batts, a pencil, and a compass, as well as my 60CSx. If I'm not 'caching, I generally attach the 60 to my shoulder strap via the belt clip. As a backup, I also attach the lanyard to my shoulder strap.

GeoBC

i'm not geo, but i am using a gillson pouch on my 76csx-it has the plastic screen cover, big metal clip, and velcro/fabric tab to hook on to backpack, etc. it is the newest neoprene gillson pouch. got mine on ebay for $8.33 plus s/h. happy

Nice, does it interfere with satellite reception at all when hiking under tree cover?

With the csx units they are identical now in function and software maps and all. The only difference is the form factor and the size of memory card that comes with it. The 76 floats and the 60 almost floats...

I think the 76 might come with a 100 rebate now....thats what I would get if true.

Trying to decide between a 60 CSx and 76 CSx but the one thing keeping me from the 76 is that dang belt clip. I really like clipping radios onto my backpack harness and being able to easily pop it off when necessary and i imagine its the same for this. Does anyone know of an accessory that would provide this for the 76? Ive looked but could only find a pouch which i would suspect also blocks the satellites!

Also, Ive read the 76 does tide information while the 60 doesn't. Can someone help explain if this is true and what that means exactly? I occasionally go boating with my in-laws so it might come in handy.

The 76CS and 76CSx have a $100 rebate, but you may be too late because it's over on 07/09/06.

I use a Maxpedition CP-L Large Cellphone/Walkie-Talkie Pouch for my 76. The 76 sits high enough that the pouch body won't press against the buttons, while the screen is kept protected behind the pouch's central band. It's an adjustable pouch (heavy-duty velcro) so you can tweak the fit so the GPSr slides in and out smoothly. There's a webbing/rubber strap that runs across the top of the GPSr to hold it in place - the buckle for the strap can be fastened/released easily with one hand. I have my CP-L attached to the side of my fanny/lumbar pack - keeps the GPSr out of the way if I'm bushwacking, but still within easy reach.

maxpedition_cpl_76CSx.jpg

Obviously this style pouch does leave the GPSr exposed to the elements, but I've used my 76CS in snowstorms and torrential downpours without any harm - it's a well-sealed unit. :D And of course the little rubber section of the top strap doesn't interfere with satellite reception.

Easy pouch to wear on a belt up to 2.5" wide. The pouch can also be attached vertically to a shoulder strap up to 2" wide as long as the strap had the thinner padding typical of daypacks. For wider/thicker straps (like a full-sized backpack), probably not a great fit.

I've also tried a Gilsson pouch, but found the clip wasn't a good match for my particular pack. The Gilsson clip was very sturdy and tight - no worries about it accidentally detaching - but difficult to unclip in my case since I was reaching behind my back and trying to open it one-handed. If you had a D-ring on your shoulder strap though, the Gilsson might work well.

Since my 76CSx has no problems acquiring and holding satellite lock inside my house I don't worry too much about my carry case interfering. I used to lose signal sometimes on my 76CS when I carried the unit in the case but the newer chip doesn't really seem to mind the case at all. I use the Garmin carry case - no plastic window or anything - it's just a carrying case. I clipped it to my cache bag with a carabiner I found in a cache. :D

010-10117-02.jpg