Best Poi Software

Good day to all,

As I'm reading few posts here, it seems like everyone is not too enthusiastic with custom POIs and Garmin products. I, for myself, is one of those. I bought a new GPASMAP 60 CSx and wanted to add custom POIs for the Ottawa region like bars, gaz stations, restaurants, hotels... Then after spending few hours manualy cleaning my csv files, I was finally ready to upload my POI to my unit.

To my big dissapointment, I could only figure out that NONE of my custom POI was searchable nor graphically mapped on my mapsource product. I was very dissapointed of my findings...

Now, I would like to know if there is any GOOD grapical software to create new POIs, add them, edit them or manage them. I would like to be able to categorize them too like all existing POIs on Mapsource i.e. gas, school, bars, etc.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know if it me... But I find Mapsource not the best ally when creating POIs. How do you manage to create POI, categorize them and make them available to a simple "find" then "Fuel Svc."??? I really like my new GPSMAP 60CSx, it is an excellent GPS. I am only dissapointed with the POIs and the "find" function on the 60CSx. It is sad that you can't add your own POIs and then incorporate them as default ones within the already existing one with MetroGuide Canada.

Save each type as a separate file. Find "Custom POI", menu, "select Data Base", then choose the type. This is all you can get at this time.

If you are computer literate, you can compile the POIs into a Garmin map and upload as a transparent map with your other maps. The POIs will then show normally and be catigorized normally as regular POIs. See GPSMapedit and CGPSMapper

I have a folder on my pc called custom poi, I add points in Mapsource & then save each map as a gpx file.

So far I use 5 files, "added map poi, benchmarks, home poi, other poi & Waymarking poi".

I use Easygps ( lets me select an icon for each custom poi ) to load the files into my 60Cx ( using Mapsource to load gave me blue dots for icons ).

To locate a custom poi, select find, then custom poi, there now is a list of the poi. Pushing menu lets me select my custom poi by database (same as my file names) or nearest.

I add or delete custom poi by loading the particular file into Mapsource, make changes, save & send the file to my gps via Easygps.

Edited by whitecrow