Ram Mount For 60csx.

PAPAKI

You may need to look into another option. My 3 month old Ram mounnt broke yesterday. I was "squeezing" it open and it cracked, rendering it useless. I repaired it with a splint and epoxy and thread but it sure should not have broken. If there is an alternative bracket I would look into that.

You may need to look into another option. My 3 month old Ram mounnt broke yesterday. I was "squeezing" it open and it cracked, rendering it useless. I repaired it with a splint and epoxy and thread but it sure should not have broken. If there is an alternative bracket I would look into that.

Contact RAM. They will replace it.

As far as alternatives go, the cradle seems to be the weakest link in the RAM system. RAM makes some adapters to adapt Garmin cradles to RAM mounts. Best of both worlds IMNHO.

This was for a 60 series Garmin? How do you "squeeze" it open?

GeoBC

I dont like the way the RAM 60 series mount works...or at least it needs some grinding to make it easier to mont and unmount the unit. Besides that the suction mount is the BEST I have found for moving from car to car.

This was for a 60 series Garmin? How do you "squeeze" it open?

GeoBC

Edited by kb9nvh

I dont like the way the RAM 60 series mount works...or at least it needs some grinding to make it easier to mont and unmount the unit. Besides that the suction mount is the BEST I have found for moving from car to car.

Mine was quite tight when I first got it, but after about a dozen on/off cycles, I can unmount it with one hand w/o any problems. I just bend the top tab on the mount backwards until it slips off of the belt clip "nub" on the back of the 60.

GeoBC

I was looking for a cheap mount for my Garmin 76CS. Didn't want to pay the $$ for the vehicle mounts I was finding in the stores. Just happened to be in Walmart in the auto accessory section & found a "universal" cup holder with expandable grips. Velcro'd it to my car dash & it works GREAT! I think it cost me maybe $4. Cheap & if I break it, I don't have to cry about it - just go down & spend another $4....

RAM makes some adapters to adapt Garmin cradles to RAM mounts. Best of both worlds IMNHO.

Can you point me to a link? I really like that idea. Thanks, RM

The adapter can be found here: Garmin Cradle Adapter BUT you must purchase the Garmin mount as well. Garmin wouldn't sell me just the cradle so I had to buy the auto mount and remove the cradle to use it with my RAM mounting system and the cradle adapter. I was annoyed to have to buy the thing but I love the result.

My previous RAM mount and RAM cradle for my 76CS destroyed the rubber on the edges of the unit after putting it into and taking it out of the mount a zillion times. By getting the adapter and the Garmin mount I was able to take off the Garmin cradle and use it with my RAM mount. It works GREAT and is the cradle that was originally designed for the unit so it doesn't trash the rubber.

RAM makes some adapters to adapt Garmin cradles to RAM mounts. Best of both worlds IMNHO.

The adapter can be found here: Garmin Cradle Adapter BUT you must purchase the Garmin mount as well. Garmin wouldn't sell me just the cradle so I had to buy the auto mount and remove the cradle to use it with my RAM mounting system and the cradle adapter. I was annoyed to have to buy the thing but I love the result.

My previous RAM mount and RAM cradle for my 76CS destroyed the rubber on the edges of the unit after putting it into and taking it out of the mount a zillion times. By getting the adapter and the Garmin mount I was able to take off the Garmin cradle and use it with my RAM mount. It works GREAT and is the cradle that was originally designed for the unit so it doesn't trash the rubber.

Thanks a bunch for the link. I have one of the adapters on order and I already had the Garmin suction cup mount/cradle. I had just received the Ram Mount version and the suction cup/support arm are far superior to the Garmin mount, but like others have mentioned, I didn't like the Ram Mount cradle. RM

Has anyone else ever wondered why none of the mounts for the Garmin 60 series GPS's don't just use the same securing mechanism that the belt clips have. The mounts could just have the cradle at the bottom and then at the top instead of having a half a$% hole for the belt clip button to go into, they could have the same releasable type slot that is on the belt clips. That way, the GPS could just slide into the cradle and snap into place and to release it all you would have to do is push the release button and slide it out. RM

Has anyone else ever wondered why none of the mounts for the Garmin 60 series GPS's don't just use the same securing mechanism that the belt clips have. The mounts could just have the cradle at the bottom and then at the top instead of having a half a$% hole for the belt clip button to go into, they could have the same releasable type slot that is on the belt clips. That way, the GPS could just slide into the cradle and snap into place and to release it all you would have to do is push the release button and slide it out. RM

I think you can get those too..generic clip for your car dash that the garmin mount slides into..they're sold for phone but the garmin nub looks to be the same size..heavier than phone, but ... but, it would swing around a bit...but they do sell 'em

I think you can get those too..generic clip for your car dash that the garmin mount slides into..they're sold for phone but the garmin nub looks to be the same size..heavier than phone, but ... but, it would swing around a bit...but they do sell 'em

That's EXACTLY what I use. I have a custom cell phone holder bracket with the 'U' holder in my F150 that mounts to screws holding the HVAC controls in and comes out between the trim pieces. On the Focus I just have one of those cell phone glue on 'U' holders on the dash. Both work great, the swinging is not an issue.

What I want now is something for use in other vehicles, rental cars or travelling with friends, some kind of windshield mount with the standard cell phone belt clip 'U' thingy. Haven't seen anything like that yet though...

That's EXACTLY what I use. I have a custom cell phone holder bracket with the 'U' holder in my F150 that mounts to screws holding the HVAC controls in and comes out between the trim pieces. On the Focus I just have one of those cell phone glue on 'U' holders on the dash. Both work great, the swinging is not an issue.

What I want now is something for use in other vehicles, rental cars or travelling with friends, some kind of windshield mount with the standard cell phone belt clip 'U' thingy. Haven't seen anything like that yet though...

That is the kind of thing I am talking about, a windshield mount with the belt clip U thingy, but they could also combine the U thingy with the cradle base to make a really solid mount with no swinging. I e-malied Ram Mount the suggestion and will let you know if they respond. RM

How about a combination of:

RAP-B-224-1U locking suction cup:

rapb224-1.jpg

...plus a RAP-B-201U 3" arm (for some flexibility in positioning/angling the GPSr):

rapb201.jpg

...plus a RAM-B-238U 1" Ball w/Diamond Plate:

ramb238.jpg

...topped off with a RAP-304U "Button Holder" (belt clip U thingy):

rap304.jpg

There's also the RAP-304SU Button Holder w/Suction Cup, but since there's no way to adjust the angle I'm thinking it wouldn't be all that great for mounting a GPSr to the slanted windshield prevalent on most cars:

rap304s.jpg

I received the Garmin Cradle Adapter today and it works well. Now I won't risk breaking my GPS or my fingers with all the force it took trying to pry the GPS out of that RAM Mount Cradle (that thing sucks). Now if Ram Mount would just make a cradle with a belt clip U-thingy for engaging the GPS belt clip button, it would make for the perfect mount. They thanked me for suggesting that BTW. Hopefully they will implement the suggestion.

Here is a picture of the Ram Mount with the Garmin Cradle Adapter:

dbe2eaf0-7c9a-490d-abb7-07d6bf8d132c.jpg