Solar Eclipse & Southern Hospility

KidCannon

This isn’t really a Geocaching thing, but does need some one that knows how to run a GPS machine. And it could be interesting.

My grandson has a school research project involving solar eclipses of the sun. Turns out that in the year 2017 there will be a total eclipse of the sun, and the “point of greatest eclipse” (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEplot/SEplot2001/SE2017Aug21T.GIF ) will be near Hopkinsville, KY.

The research project tasks the student with gathering a little detailed geographical information on area at the “point of greatest eclipse”. Rather than an airline ticket; I thought maybe one of those Southern Hospitable, Kentucky Geocachers might be willing to go the exact GPS coordinates and see what’s there.

If any one in the Hopkinsville area would be interested please contact me, either here in the forum or preferably by email.

Thanks,

KidCannon

kidcan@bluebottle.com

I "needed" to do a little caching in that area and decided to make a cache run to the coordinates on Sunday. I took pictures and am sending these on today to KidCannon.

Just as a FYI, the coordinates are actually just a few feet from the intersection of Hwy 91 and Quarry Rd. Despite looking at aerial maps, I was really worried that the general location coordinates would be on private land. Imagine my surprise when at the intersection I was less than 100 feet from the coordinates!

I just so happened to have a spare ammo can in the back of my SUV so thanks to approval from Bluegrass Reviewer, GCWYH9 - In the Year 2017, sits nearby.

The first finder left some interesting information in their cache log that I need to check out!!!

Meny thanks to the Monica for the effort and information, a true Souther Bell.

Now that I have the information I was looking for, there is no longer a need for others to reply.

I will check back on this post from time to time to see what others may have to say.

Thanks again to Monica.

KidCannon