Nashville Vacation

Big-AlH

Hi all,

My wife will be attending a convention in Nashville the second week of August. I'll have 2.5 days to myself, so what better way to spend them then geocaching! I'm not a big numbers guy, but I also don't want to spend the entire day on 1 cache. I'd rather find several interesting caches over 100 boring or 1 super-awesome (if that makes sense).

I'd like to find some nice hiking areas where several caches are located, or some cool (historic etc.) ones are located relatively close to each other. When I traveled to Virginia I found a lake (Burke Lake Park) that had a 5 mile loop with about 13 caches around it. That was much more memoriable to me than 30 parking lot caches. :ph34r:

I plan on popping up to KY to snag a cache or two as well (nice to get another state). On Wednesday afternoon we'll be driving to Memphis to spend a night and go to Graceland on Thursday - so I'll also pick up a couple down there (and possibly some other states :ph34r: ).

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

-al

Glad to have you visiting Nashville!!

You'll find all kinds of caches here! Micros, Hikes, Ammo cans, Historical, Multi, Events, just to name a few!!

You can check out the Middle Tennessee Geocachers Club (MTCG) web page for our "greatest hits": MTGC Greatest Hits for some ideas. Depending on the date and time of your trip, I am sure some of the locals would be happy to give you a guided tour. If you want to do a "numbers run" this can be done as well. And with a little notice, who knows an event might event be planned!

The point is -- Nashville has it all, you just have to know where to look!!! :):):)

For historic caches in Nashville, check out some of JoGPS's early caches from '02 and '03. I learned more about Nashville history from those than I have from anything else. There are also a lot of good caches, most of them micros, that are at historic sites from the Battle of Nashville.

Unless you are out to just run up your numbers, you need to read the logs closely so that you don't waste a lot of time on the many otherwise uninteresting micros that abound in the Nashville area...but if you invest the time to do some research, there are some really great caches to do there.

There are also some good ones up in the Clarksville area (about 50 miles north of Nashville, enroute to KY). It is also not too far to run down to Huntsville, Al. and do some of the caches there, that way you would get another state in.

I'll send you a list of some of my favorites in all these areas.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

While I'm not a numbers guy, getting other states would be cool. I basically have 2 free full days to myself. What I'll most likely do is plan one day to head up to KY and get caches along the way. The other day I'll head down to AL, picking up some good caches along the way as well.

I'll try to convince the wife to go into AR and MS while down near Memphis to pick up those states as well.

If there are some "must do" caches between Nashville (will be near Opyrland) and KY/AL let me know.

-al

The 'must do' ones are all pretty well covered in the local group's Greatest Hits list that LSUMonica linked you to in her post. Of those, I can personally endorse Battle of Franklin, Rebirth of a Bridge, Going Gibson, and Mission Impossible for starters. Nashville has so much variety, that yo are sure to find what you like there by using that list, and perhaps posting at the local forum with some specific requests. Also, JoGPS's Silver Bullet series caches are sure to show you bits from history that you will enjoy, but probably not find in any guide book.