Magellan Explorist Xl Or Garmin 60csx

I just gave away my Garmin 76CS to my nephew (a geocache recruit) and now need a GPS for myself!

I had no real complaints with the 76CS with the exception that I wasn't too thrilled with the thumbpad. The Magellan units with the joystick looks pretty cool.

I don't mind jumping off the Garmin bandwagon and trying Magellan -- after a lot of research, it appears these brands are the only two for consideration.

On an even more generic-question level, does anyone recommend one brand over the other? It looks like Garmin is more popular given all the threads with peoples mixed experiences with the 60CSx. Or perhaps people don't have as many problems with their Magellans?

I appreciate your thoughts. :P

Is price an issue? Why not consider lowrance?

I had one before my garmin 60csx and it had some features I really miss.

I just gave away my Garmin 76CS to my nephew (a geocache recruit) and now need a GPS for myself!

I had no real complaints with the 76CS with the exception that I wasn't too thrilled with the thumbpad. The Magellan units with the joystick looks pretty cool.

I don't mind jumping off the Garmin bandwagon and trying Magellan -- after a lot of research, it appears these brands are the only two for consideration.

On an even more generic-question level, does anyone recommend one brand over the other? It looks like Garmin is more popular given all the threads with peoples mixed experiences with the 60CSx. Or perhaps people don't have as many problems with their Magellans?

I appreciate your thoughts. :ph34r:

After 29 months and 1,100 caches with a Magellan Merigold I broke down and bought a 60csx. I was hoping Magellan would get thier act together but they don't seem to understand the meaning of customer service. The Merigold wasn't a bad unit when I had it running on 5.12 firmware and Mapsend S&D Canada but when I changed to 5.40 so I could run the Mapsend Directroute it turned into a piece of crap. It would walk me 20 to 40 meters past the cache before it decided I went to far. It got to the point that I would cycle the power on it when I got to between 40 and 60 meters from the cache.I must say it's nice to jump out of the truck and walk straight to the cache for once.

The Garmin isn't quite as good with the waypoint management but they seem to respond to consmer demand so I hope it won't be long before I have what I want.