Www.geochecker.com

But if you're using any common methods, like a bit of paper, or Excel, I doubt you have that perfect text on screen to cut-n-paste in one chunk, and HOW it's formatted is not going to be consistent anyway. (Do your notes include those degree symbols, for example?)
Actually, for most puzzles, my notes are electronic, and I do have the solution in pretty much the same format as the (bogus) coordinates in the cache description. But even if I were typing from hardcopy notes, breaking up the coordinates into so many chunks reduces usability. (See item #7 in Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005, for example.)

As to the javascript requirement, that's a security measure.
I hope you aren't relying on client-side scripting for any real security. Edited by niraD
(See item #7 in Top Ten Web Design Mistakes of 2005, for example.)

I groan anytime someone points to Jakob Nielsen as the paragon of usability. I'm glad the rest of the web isn't like his own site.

Additionally, the script doesn't violate the rule. The boxes are required and they are broken up that way so there is absolutely no confusion about how to enter the coordinates. The script has to end up with the 15 digits of a DD MM.MMM formatted coordinate pair. The slightest deviation will provide a false negative--worse, IMHO, than having to click a few boxes. The script GoldenHawk's version is based on was designed so anyone with little experience or knowledge could host it on the appropriate server. Minimal footprint and set up. That's the reason it is very light.

A more permanent and robust version could certainly be made complete with flexible coordinate entry. I had some snipets of coordinate checking somewhere, but damned if I can't find it.

As to the javascript requirement, that's a security measure.
I hope you aren't relying on client-side scripting for any real security.

It isn't.

I have not only written a very flexible coordinate parser, but I have released it as GPLed source code, available to everybody. That's why I get so snarky; everybody says it's really hard, but it already exists!

No worries about the tone - I'd NEVER want to see this imposed on anyone.

Where can I find this code? I'd love to look at it, and see if it would help. The server has plenty of overhead to handle better parsing of free-form coordinates.

I can always offer the user a choice: either enter them strictly here if you're having problems, or freeform there if you want.

I apologize for the tone of my comments. However, they were in response to a suggestion that puzzle-cache hiders be required to use geochecker. Normally I wouldn't comment, but that struck me as a bad suggestion for the reason I gave.

I agree: geochecker is useful in some cases, however.

There is no reason that coordinates need to be entered in any single exact format in order to be checked, especially since you allow "fuzzy" checking. It would seem to me that the coordinates should be allowed to be entered in a variety of formats. If the application can't parse them, it should just say so.

This is a web page with coordinate-parsing capability: perhaps the type of thing required?

I've just posted an update to Geochecker - I'm calling it version 4.

The biggest improvement is the addition of detailed logging for cache owners. The system will now track the attempted coordinates for any given cache.

When you as a cache owner create a puzzle link, in addition to a link to the very basic stats, you will receive a private link to more details - specifically, you can view the recently attempted coordinates on a Google Maps "mashup". This will allow you to see if there are many identical but incorrect guesses (maybe your puzzle has an error?), and also to see if someone is attempting a "brute-force" solution by frequent guessing (maybe your puzzle is too hard?). As an example, here's a link to some faked detailed stats. If you zoom in, you'll see a few solution attempts.

http://www.geochecker.com/index.php?code=2...c7409b8196cbb92

In addition to these detailed stats, all users can look at a Google Maps mashup of the last 500 or so guesses:

http://www.geochecker.com/?action=showpointcloud

These results are randomized by about 1/10 mile, but should show a good cross-section of recent activity. Kind of a treat for all of us lurker, voyeur types.

If you have an existing cache link, and you want access to these stats, simply recreate the link (using the same coords, title, and waypoint info). The link you get will access only your own cache's stats, and won't reset existing stats. As of today, attempts are now being logged, whether or not you access the data or recreate the link, so there's no hurry to recreate links.

(Sometime soon, I hope to release a tiny banner generator for inclusion on the GC cache listing - a link which returns an image showing real-time basic stats, much like the GC profile banner showing your Found It count.)

Enjoy!

PS: Regarding security, the data is heavily protected - it's only stored in the database by a secure hash on the already-hashed coordinates - and can only be accessed with a unique passcode provided to the cache owner when a link is created. It's not tied in any other way to the cache listing or the actual coordinates, and just like the link, the actual coordinates or the cache identity cannot be determined from the data that is stored. Not even WE can do that. In other words, unless you're the cache owner and have this link, you cannot access the detailed stats for a cache. So don't give away or post the detailed stats link, or others will be able to look at guesses connected to your cache - this might reveal the correct answer, if enough guesses are clustered there (even though nothing identifies correct or incorrect guesses). As always, the actual coordinates of your cache are never, ever stored.

PPS: Regarding data lifespan, we will not guarantee keeping this info - it will be capped at a reasonable age, probably a few months at most, whatever our server database can handle easily. This is just a convenience for you, not a guarantee of service!

This seems like a very cool tool for us not so great at puzzle solving cachers....but how do we know if the puzzle we are trying to solve is participating?

Hopefully, the cache owner will put a link somewhere on the page. Like this one

...and if they don't already have a link, they may not know about this tool... suggest it to them.

"...and if they don't already have a link, they may not know about this tool... suggest it to them."

Regardless of whether or not this is a great geocaching tool, actively promoting your own ad supported commercial web site in the forums is a violation of the commercial posting guidelines. I am closing this topic.

Edited by Rothstafari