Mapping Our Cache Adventures

vespax

While out caching with Larks the other day, we were talking GIS. I mentioned how I recorded my movements everytime I left the house during my first month living in South Africa. It was a rather fun little project, albeit annoying to the non-geocacher (think: wait a moment for the GPS to get signal before we walk down the road!) :blink:

This leads me to the idea of enlisting as many cachers who want to take part in the project of mapping out our cache adventures for a month. I will then compile all the GPS tracks that I receive and make a map to share with the community so we can all spatially enjoy each others outings.

All that is required to participate is:

1 Record your tracks when you leave to cache, keep them recording while in and out of vehicle and then stop the track when you get home.

2 Keep them all in a folder on your computer for the month. Then zip those babies up and email me. I will then convert them to needed format and compose the map.

3 Decide on a month to do this. July, August, Whenever? Start and end date.

4 Your GC handle included on tracks so that I can distinguish them by color on map.

So who wants to give it a try? We can do it in the winter months when caching is slower and then if it is successful, do a larger scale one for the summer months.

It will be really interesting to see to what extents people travel to find a cache or how close to home people are able to travel. Let me know in this thread and we can organize what everyone wants to do.

out

This could be quite interesting….

Just some things to think of…

Not everyone will be happy providing their home coordinates. The majority of my tracks would indicate “Home” as some or other hotel/airport/car rental agency/airplane/office. :blink:

Also keep in mind that some tracks may give away the locations of multi or mystery caches. :blink:

As an aside, there was an interesting project on the go which had to do with using GPS tracks to create “art” or drawings. So, cachers would collaborate by recording tracks and together the tracks would form a word or picture. A bit like signwriting with an airplane but using GPS tracks. There is a website somewhere…..can’t find it now.

This could be quite interesting….

Just some things to think of…

Not everyone will be happy providing their home coordinates. The majority of my tracks would indicate “Home” as some or other hotel/airport/car rental agency/airplane/office. :blink:

Also keep in mind that some tracks may give away the locations of multi or mystery caches. ;)

I don't foresee the home coordinates or multi-stages coordinates to be a problem since the scale of the map would be atleast a provincial level or at the most a national level. So you would not really be able to accurately gain coordinate information from it. The most you could see is the general region that someone starts and ends from.

It would show nodes(start/end points) for caching trips. This could be me starting in the southern suburbs of CT or starting at my in-laws in PE. Either point would be fine, since we would just be observing track lines zig-zagging around the country. I expect high track areas would be around CT and Jo'burg. With smaller lines through the rest of the country.

I will post a pic of my other map that I made that includes tracks of me caching as well as going on holiday and daily errands. I will post it in the coming days since my PC (stupid windows) crashed and I have it stored on that hard drive which is currently giving me headaches.

I have seen the painting website before, but caching takes all my GPS batteries! :blink:

I managed to salvage my map from my windows PC. Well actually I had it saved in email, I just found it now. I lost everything on the PC....... but a week later I have it going again. OSX...... :mad:

Here is what I am proposing. Now you figure on a larger scale the detail of cache locations and people starting coordinates will be hard to pin point. And of course this would all be voluntarily done.

Perhaps if it gets made, QFC and Perdix (when it is made) can post it on their geocaching websites.

GPStracks.jpg