Best Mapping Software For 60csx For Geocaching?

Just got a 60csx for father's day...

What is the best mapping software I should purchase for GeoCaching?

Thanks.

You can only load Garmin maps onto a CSx. If you want driving directions (auto-routing), City Navigator is your best bet. If you are using it for hiking, dirt-biking, hunting, etc.. the Topo maps will be helpful (they will not auto-route!). Either software will work well for caching, but only the former will navigate you to a cache via streets.

Use the forum search function for lots of info on this unit and the software that runs on it.

Happy caching :laughing:

Edited by Cache Heads

MetroGuide also works. It has maps but does not auto-route. They go for about $85 ($50 for v6 which is still available in some parts); City Navigator for about $115. The extra $30 is well worth it.

Wait for v8 to come out; it's due out soon.

Just got a 60csx for father's day...

What is the best mapping software I should purchase for GeoCaching?

Thanks.

I have a 60CSx (which is a very nice unit) and I currently am running both city nav and topo maps on it. I didn't want to spend the money so I got old versions real cheap. I think I have Topo North America V3 and City Nav North America V4. They are so old I got the set for about $30 used. There are very few areas I find missing/wrong roads so I find the old programs to work fine for me, however I don't go into cities very often.

Just make sure when buying used City Nav programs they still have atleast one unlock code left on the Garmin server. If they don't you can't load them onto the GPS and you wasted your money! :laughing:

For caching I've found the TOPO to be more useful than City Nav.

I stand partically corrected. All the MetroGuides can autoroute if the GPS is hooked up MapSource, ie. via a laptop computer. But the MGs will not autoroute otherwise.

I don't understand what you are saying. I have metroguide. I loaded the mapsets into my 60cx. I drive around town with "just" the GPS and it autoroutes fine. I go home and use just the computer and it can autoroute too without the GPS atatched.

I have metroguide. I loaded the mapsets into my 60cx. I drive around town with "just" the GPS and it autoroutes fine.

The U.S. version of Metroguide does not autoroute on the unit-- only on the PC. You can plan a route on the PC and then transfer it to your unit, but the unit itself will not generate its own autoroute using this software. The 60cx will generate an autoroute along the base map with any software. However, this will most often add several minutes (if not hours) to your trip :blink: .

The only 3 U.S. Garmin software packages that autoroute on the unit itself are City Select, City Navigator and the Topo 24k maps. How exactly is your unit autorouting you from place to place with Metroguide?

Edited by Cache Heads

I am not planing anything on the PC. I select a waypoint, hit enter, select goto, It asks "follow road" or "Off road", I select follow road, It calculates, it draws a purple line on the map, it tells me where and when and which way to turn until I reach the destination. It is the older version of metroguide USA. 3.00 I think, with trip and waypoint manager that came with the 60cx.