Ant Bites... What To Do?

I just posted a story about getting ant bites on my new caching blog . This is the second time in two months that they've chewed me up without me knowing it until the next day.

I've been using a product called Ivy Dry that's specifically for Poison Ivy but seems to help some.

Any good home remedies to relieve the itching? It's driving me nuts.

I bought Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. Green goo is our name for it. It works great on everything. Burns and bug bites. It has also speeded the healing of the bug bites I have.

I hate that for you. Last year while out looking for a cache I was in shorts in a briar patch. All of a sudden my left leg felt like it was on fire. I thought it was the briar scratches. I looked down and my whole leg was covered in ants. Not a good feeling at all. You have my sympathy and I hope you get some relief soon.

If you need a home remedy because you can't get to the store try making a paste with baking soda.

If they were fire ants, you'd probably have noticeable pustules that look like white heads. I got attacked by ants while caching on Saturday, and today the back of my hand is covered in these painful little things. Scratching makes them worse, of course, but something like caladryl lotion should help with the itching. Mine don't itch so much, but they're very sore.

If it's chiggers, generally you don't see pustules on the skin, but you itch like crazy. Chiggers get into your pores and hair follicles and release enzymes which cause the itching. When I got them a few years ago, my dad told me to paint my legs with clear fingernail polish. This seals the area off from air and keeps it from itching so much. Caladryl lotion is also good for this.

This is the second time in two months that they've chewed me up without me knowing it until the next day.

Ah, if they were fire ants, you'd know it as soon as they bit you; they're painful right from the start. Sounds like it might be chiggers.

Yeah, definitely NOT fire ants. It took 24-hours to be really noticable. Before that they were more like mosquito bites.

I took a hot bath and let my legs soak. I made sure to wash the sores really good with soap and water.

That helped calm the itching. Then I went out to the pharmacy and picked up some Gold Bond Anti-Itch cream. That is really helping too. Better than the Ivy Dry stuff.

I'm also shopping for some boots and will start tucking in my pants legs. :laughing:

Another home remedy for chiggers is to take a bath in water that has a capful of Chlorox bleach in it (don't use any more than that, or your skin will fall off.) We also carry sulfur powder in the truck; dust your legs liberally with it before you go in the field, and it helps to repel them.

I'm currently scratching my way thru a dose of chiggers now. You have my sympathies.

Another home remedy for chiggers is to take a bath in water that has a capful of Chlorox bleach in it (don't use any more than that, or your skin will fall off.) We also carry sulfur powder in the truck; dust your legs liberally with it before you go in the field, and it helps to repel them.

I'm currently scratching my way thru a dose of chiggers now. You have my sympathies.

Where do you get sulfur powder?

We found the sulfur powder at our local feed store. I think we've also picked up a small bag of it at some point in the past at Home Depot, but I don't recall seeing it there recently. It does help-- we were out setting up for a search and rescue exam this last weekend, and I only have one additional bite on my leg.

Now if I can just find a way to get rid of the dadgum ticks....

Diatomaceous Earth will also kill any hard bodies critters. Dont bu the stuff from your pool supply guy, it has extra chemicals in it that wont do you any good. D.E. can be bought from your local nursery. We use it to get rid of ants and fleas in the back yard. Just dont breathe the stuff and dont let your pets breathe it in either.