3 Coordinates 3 Distances And A Cache....

naturekid

Hi,

maybe someone here can help me.

I have 3 positions, say A,B,C and for each position a specific distance/diameter.

A= 20 miles

B= 15 miles

C= 27 miles

How do I find the middle of these three circles, I mean where ist the one single overlapping point of the three

circles?

Hope I could make this clear....

Sorry for my bad englisch :laughing:

Naturekid

Edited by naturekid

If you are doing this in the field and don't have a map, enter the three waypoints into your GPS but name them as "20 miles", "15 miles" and "27 miles". Set your GPS to display the nearest waypoints and you will see all three on the same screen with their distances live and updating. Drive until you are 20 miles from "20 miles" etc.

The two accurate ways to do this are to use Trigonometry (Pythagoreans theorem) To calculate the intersection. Or you can use a CADD program and draw the circles in their actual locations then ID The point of intersection.

You have the exact point with two circles. The third just tells you which of the two intersecting points to solve for.

Also folks, remember that speaking in generalities is OK, but asking for assistance with a specific cache is kinda like looking at the answer to the crossword puzzle ahead of time. It's icky.

If you want assistance with a puzzle cache, why not just e-mail the owner?

Also folks, remember that speaking in generalities is OK, but asking for assistance with a specific cache is kinda like looking at the answer to the crossword puzzle ahead of time. It's icky.

... which is why, I guess, that the OP substituted the original distances from the points with some rather large values in miles. To keep it in generalities.

If you want assistance with a puzzle cache, why not just e-mail the owner?

What's the difference from asking help from the owner, and asking help from others who hasn't already solved the puzzle? If asking us for help is bad, is it also bad to team up with other cachers and solve mystery caches?

It's a matter of intent.

If I come up with a pretty hard puzzle, I'd like people to figure it out and learn something rather than just go and ask other people.

...To keep it in generalities

This is negated by this:

It is GCMPDG

That's asking for help in solving a specific cache.

If I come up with a pretty hard puzzle, I'd like people to figure it out and learn something rather than just go and ask other people.

Some of us like the increased feeling of community that comes from solving puzzles together. But I can see that friendly cooperation between cachers is unwelcome in your world view. :blink:

...To keep it in generalities

This is negated by this:

It is GCMPDG

That's asking for help in solving a specific cache.

Did you actually read the thread before coming in here all aggro? :blink: That was naturekid's response to my question in post #2 (out of curiosity- I'd like to have a go at it too) what cache he was trying to solve ...

Oh well, I guess I'll scoot over to my friendly national forum now.

Edited by Yellow ants