This Must Have Been Asked Before

sTeamTraen

I started a thread about this a week or two ago, and it sank like a stone with no responses. So I'll just add another voice to your question.

There are some bugs that I picked up at an event recently, and the last couple of drop-offs in caches before the event show no mileage. I read in a thread somewhere that sometimes mileage updates lag, but it's been about two weeks now! If the mileage doesn't get logged right away for bug drops, does the system really catch up, or is that mileage lost forever?

Example: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...54-18fa0fc1bcd4

If you're the bug owner, there's an option to recalculate distance on the bug page. I think that'll force it to update immediately.

But I'm not sure... my bug's been sitting in an ammo can guarded by a tough puzzle and a steep hike for many months now... Such is the life of a travel bug! :laughing:

If you're the bug owner, there's an option to recalculate distance on the bug page. I think that'll force it to update immediately.

But I'm not sure... my bug's been sitting in an ammo can guarded by a tough puzzle and a steep hike for many months now... Such is the life of a travel bug! :laughing:

And that of TB finders who don't seem to understand or care that the purpose of a TRAVEL Bug is to TRAVEL and that placing TB's in locations that are not reasonably conducive to such TRAVEL is somewhat of a mistake. Further, the person who places a TB in such a location, upon further refelection of his error in understanding the purpose of a TRAVEL Bug owes it to the TB owner to correct his error by going back to the poorly chosen location that is not conducive to TRAVEL and removing the TB to a cache location which IS TRAVEL friendly. This is not rocket science people. Crimminie!...........Such is the life of a travel bug. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

And that of TB finders who don't seem to understand or care that the purpose of a TRAVEL Bug is to TRAVEL and that placing TB's in locations that are not reasonably conducive to such TRAVEL is somewhat of a mistake.

I didn't mean that to sound like a complaint -- that bug doesn't have a goal, so I don't mind if he sits in one place for a while. I'd rather see him go to cool caches, even if it means less frequent movement. Seeing him there actaully got me to solve the puzzle, and that's a cache I'd love to find the next time I'm hiking in that area (whether or not he's still there).

I've got another bug that I left in a cache that probably won't be visited more than once or twice a year. The cache location fit the theme of the bug, though. At least it's a quality cache that will probably be around for a while.

Well, I did that on the TB in question, and the total mileage went up - probably by the amount of the missing hop - but the missing hop distance is still missing!

And that of TB finders who don't seem to understand or care that the purpose of a TRAVEL Bug is to TRAVEL and that placing TB's in locations that are not reasonably conducive to such TRAVEL is somewhat of a mistake.

I didn't mean that to sound like a complaint -- that bug doesn't have a goal, so I don't mind if he sits in one place for a while. I'd rather see him go to cool caches, even if it means less frequent movement. Seeing him there actaully got me to solve the puzzle, and that's a cache I'd love to find the next time I'm hiking in that area (whether or not he's still there).

I've got another bug that I left in a cache that probably won't be visited more than once or twice a year. The cache location fit the theme of the bug, though. At least it's a quality cache that will probably be around for a while.

Do the guidelines specify that it is logical to assume that it is OK for those travel bugs with no stated goal to be placed into caches that for whatever reasons are not conducive to assisting TRAVEL bugs to TRAVEL? Is there a valid reason that a cacher, with nothing to indicate otherwise, ought to assume that non-goaled TB's ought to be placed into a cache that rational logic indicates will hinder the TB's TRAVEL? :lol::lol::P

It usually takes a while, but it will appear...as it has in the OP's TB he linked. I assume the mileage for the hops gets calculated by Graoundspeak at certain times of the day (or something).

If the TB/coin owner hits the recalculate mileage the rest usually follows the next day or when the TB/coin gets moved next.

I'm pretty sure TPTB said this was a known issue and was being worked on. A few months ago we weren't getting any mileage updated so at least it has improved from that point