Louisiana, Geocaching Growing?

ZSandmann

Hi all, I just moved from Fort Collins, CO, where Geocaching is huge, to Lafayette, Louisiana.

Problem is when I sort from my zipcode there are only five pages of caches within 50 miles, I had 37 in Colorado. I guess I'm just curious if geocaching is growing in this corner of the world. Of course I'll get over to New Orleans and Baton Rouge eventually and I assume there will be more caches there. I also plan on hiding a lot of caches myself. But I really love the hunt and don't want to have to drive really far away to cache.

So I guess I'm begging for any active locals to help me in placing new quality caches around the area.

Z

Hi ZSandmann and welcome to Louisiana. Try posing your question on lageocaching.com Alexm, who runs the website, is from Lafayette, but I think his activity has dropped as of late. Most of the folks online are from the NOLA area, but there are a few from central and north LA.

My activity has dropped off considerably after Katrina, but that's another story :anicute:

Problem is when I sort from my zipcode there are only five pages of caches within 50 miles, I had 37 in Colorado.

I don't see that as a problem. 5 pages vs. 37 pages says nothing of the quality of the hides. I won't suggest that Colorado geocaches aren't any good, but I can tell you that the dozen or so caches I've found in Louisiana are among the best I've found anywhere.

I'd rather live in a place with far fewer really good caches than lots of caches that didn't have a lot of thought behind them.

Jamie

Thanks for the replies. I was in no way demeaning the caches here. The three I've grabbed so far were very nicely done. The first was excellent I thought. Plus it's helping me learn the city. I just don't like to drive, I was a driver in another life :anicute: , so I was hoping for a lot of close ones like I've had in previous places I've lived.

On the LAgeocachers site now.

Z

Hi all, I just moved from Fort Collins, CO, where Geocaching is huge, to Lafayette, Louisiana.

Problem is when I sort from my zipcode there are only five pages of caches within 50 miles, I had 37 in Colorado. I guess I'm just curious if geocaching is growing in this corner of the world. Of course I'll get over to New Orleans and Baton Rouge eventually and I assume there will be more caches there. I also plan on hiding a lot of caches myself. But I really love the hunt and don't want to have to drive really far away to cache.

So I guess I'm begging for any active locals to help me in placing new quality caches around the area.

Z

Welcome to La. Z. I got into geocaching 4 years ago, when I was living in LaPlace La. Lots of caches in that area. I am back in central La. now, and for 3 years, no caches, other than the 2 I created, were within 50 miles of me. I am happy to say that the school system I worked for offered some gps classes, and now we actually have a whole page of caches here. I am hoping it will continue to grow.

BTW, just got back from a week in Colorado, staying in Keystone. It was beautiful, even though I had problems BREATHING!! How do you like the saturated air down here? :rolleyes:

KC

Well I'm from Alabama so I was raised in it but it takes some getting reused to. Glad to see everyone chime in on LA caching. I attended my first event down here last night and I must say there are far more cachers around than I originally surmissed. The hurricanes have just shreded everything as one might expect. There is going to be some exciting news coming out of the state soon too! Stay tuned.

Z

Thanks for the replies. I was in no way demeaning the caches here. The three I've grabbed so far were very nicely done. The first was excellent I thought. Plus it's helping me learn the city. I just don't like to drive, I was a driver in another life :P , so I was hoping for a lot of close ones like I've had in previous places I've lived.

On the LAgeocachers site now.

Z

Bonseur Z....I too live in Lafayette and just recently tried my hand at geocaching in .... Oklahoma of all places! I've not placed a cache yet, but think that will be more fun than actually looking for one. Have you placed a cache in the area yet????? You can email me @...... steeltrak@yahoo.com (Me-N-My-Wolf)

welcome to LA. A lot of outdoor activities in the state have dropped considerably since Katrina and Rita swept through and demolished half the state. But things are picking up again. If you're ever in the Lake Charles area, there are tons of caches here. Also, make some trips to any of the Kisatchie Forest areas. The one near Woodworth has the oldest active cache in the state.

I lived in New Orleans for all of my caching life prior to Katrina-- I've been living in Kentucky since about 8 hours before the storm hit. Almost all of the caches I did in Louisiana and coastal Mississippi in the pre-hurricane days have been archived. Many were destroyed by those (and other) storms, and probably others were left behind by owners who never returned (either to geocaching or the region).

With that being said, the cache density wasn't overwhelming before the storm. But if you make it over to New Orleans, you can do about a million caches placed by Bamboozle, including the highly recommended View Carre. Really-- make sure you do that one if you haven't already.