Topo 3d On Ex500

... what I am I doing wrong?

Not zoomed in far enough?

- Some map details are only visible when zoomed in close.

Have the map detail level set too low?

- From page 21 of the manual: On Map screen, press Menu, arrow-joystick to Map Setup, click Enter, arrow-joystick to Detail, click Enter, arrow-joystick to your choice of lowest/low/med/high/highest.

Edited by lee_rimar

I know that the files have to be *.IMI files and not *.IMG files, and I have TOPO 3D on my eXplorist XL.

I had a smaller SD memory card in the GPS, but it was in an adaptor card, because it was the old 64meg microSD memory card out of my other GPS. The problem seemed to be that when the map files got above a certain size, I would lose the Detail map from the Active Setup page, and the Map screen would revert to the basemap. On the 64meg card, I could not use Topo 3D map files larger than about 16megs, or I would get an error, loading the map on the Active Setup Page, so the problem maybe fragmentation of the files.

Things to watch out for:

Make sure the SD card is at least 512mb, if your using large map files of at least 64megs each, because the map files may become fragmented, and I found that to be true when I would use Windows XP check for fragmented files, so keep the files to at least 64megs. If when you do select a map in the Active Setup PAGE under DETAIL MAPS, and when you power down, and back up, and it is missing, it could be the problem with the card itself, or the size of your files, and/or fragmentation of the map files.

Can you Give more information, like what Card your using, and the file sizes?

Are you using *.IMI files created by the Magellan Conversion Manager?