Google Earth 4 Beta

The first thing I noticed is that the Geocaching kml file only partially works with it. It'll display the caches, but not the specific icon for the cache type. :drama:

If this is the case, you might want to post this in the Geocaching.com website section of the forum. Not sure if Jeremy & Co can or will do anything about this since the problem concerns a beta release of GE. But they should probably know about this potential bug. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll be holding off on trying out the new version.

The first thing I noticed is that the Geocaching kml file only partially works with it. It'll display the caches, but not the specific icon for the cache type. :unsure:

If this is the case, you might want to post this in the Geocaching.com website section of the forum. Not sure if Jeremy & Co can or will do anything about this since the problem concerns a beta release of GE. But they should probably know about this potential bug. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll be holding off on trying out the new version.

Done!

I was thinking this morning that I might switch back to the older version as well. I like the cleaner look of the new version, but I need the right icons.

Scott

Hi there!

I also faced the problem and tried a fix as workaround by fixing the XML file. It seems that changing the header from version 2.0 to 2.1 is enough to bring the icons up again (even though the specification says that the icons are defined deprecated...).

To fix it until it is updated at geocaching.com I implemented a small filter proxy which does the dirty conversion job.

If you go to your Google Earth client and just replace the KML URL in the properties of the Geocahing link it is working.

Original URL:

http://api.Groundspeak.com/networkkml/geocache.aspx?key=XYZ

Updated URL which enables Icons again:

http://www.jensscheffler.de/share/geocaching.php?key=XYZ

Jens