Help For Newbie

how do I convert from GB grid refs ie 12345, 12345 to an acceptable format to be able to log a cache location. Seems a bit naff that they have every system apart from GB grid refs on the log page.

I have put out 6 caches on a circular walk this evening and I can not register one.

help

Even more frustrating than having to wait 24 hrs to put anything on here

how do I convert from GB grid refs ie 12345, 12345 to an acceptable format to be able to log a cache location. Seems a bit naff that they have every system apart from GB grid refs on the log page.

I have put out 6 caches on a circular walk this evening and I can not register one.

help

Even more frustrating than having to wait 24 hrs to put anything on here

With respect, if you've already placed six caches, how did you record their location? If you used a GPS receiver then it would give you locations in the accepted WGS84 format anyway.

If you've just picked the OSGB grid reference off a map, then I'm afraid that won't be close enough and you'll have a hard time convincing our cache reviewers that it is. :laughing:

Thanks for all your replies had to reset my GPS to Geocahing mode not letterboxing mode

changed Great Britain OS to WGS84 and the decimal 10 digit readout to DMS

Revisited sites to re-log positions

It worked big thanks to the 'moderator' for being so patient. and all those that replied

The other thing the moderator asked me if I had used a on-line convertor sounded like a bit of a NO-NO

Edited by frustrated letterboxer

changed Great Britain OS to WGS84 and the decimal 10 digit readout to DMS

Well you certainly got it right in the field as I found the six on Saturday with no quibbles with the coordinates except for the one under trees where you gave a more than adequate hint. But I wonder if you really meant that you reset readout to DMS when all geocaches are set with DD MM.mmm as the prime reference, i.e. decimals of minutes and not seconds. Sorry I am not trying to be pedantic but reference to DMS might mislead someone else.

If your nice little series at Fiddlers Ferry is near home for you we don't live far apart and if you need any help please don't hesitate to email me and I will try. Why be frustrated as a letterboxer when you have made a good start with hybrid geocaches - welcome to the sport/game/obsession. :(

Edited by John Stead

would you believe I walked that route three times.

One to sus out where I could put them

two to put them out and to mark there locations using GB co-ords ie 12345 12345

got home and realised the log page would not handle them co-ords swithched the GPS TO DMS AND WGS84

Three to re logged using DMS and WGS84 the software appears to convert them to GB grid.

So I need to set the GPS to DD MM.mmm and WGS84

That I will do, when I put out the next set

Will give it a try tommorrow relocating rooneys boots, several posts have identified the precariousness of its location. check out cache clue sheet for when I will be relocating it

Not reviewing this post till Friday after 6pm