Problem With Explorist 400 And Magellan Software

Howdy,

I recently got an eXplorist 400 along with Mapsend Topo 3D USA. I’m trying to use the Magellan Geocache Manager program but it won’t recognize that I have an eXplorist 400 connected. I’ve followed Magellan’s directions on the proper order to connect the cables, I turn the GPS on and it goes into “USB File Transfer” Mode automatically. When I try to send a Geocache to the GPS with the Magellan Geocache Manager it takes a few seconds then I get the error, “No Unit Detected! Magellan eXplorist Manager was unable to detect an eXplorist. Check that the USB cable is connected at both ends and that the GPS is on.”

I’ve installed the Magellan USB drivers that came with the GPS. I’ve tried this on every USB port on my computer. All have the same results. I don’t know what else to do.

Any tips are much appreciated!

-Cap’n Cache

Which way is your cable running, it should be facing down toward the bottom of the gps.

When you go into the transfer mode you should have another screen pop up on your monitor, if not you possibly have it backwards or a bad connection.

Also check the pins at the plug sometimes they will stick in and not make a connection

Which way is your cable running, it should be facing down toward the bottom of the gps.

When you go into the transfer mode you should have another screen pop up on your monitor, if not you possibly have it backwards or a bad connection.

Also check the pins at the plug sometimes they will stick in and not make a connection

Wow. I can't believe I didn't think of that. That fixed it. Thanks very much :laughing:

Wow. I can't believe I didn't think of that. That fixed it. Thanks very much :angry:

Hey, thanks for helping me fix my problem aswell. I got my GPS in yesterday and had the same problem.

I can go geocaching today.

java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_12')

:D If I may piggyback on this question. I bought my first GPS unit yesterday. The Explorist 210 and was able to connect with the pc. After I transferred the 9 points, a dialog box flashed that said the points were sent, but I could not find them in the POI file. I had to manually input the caches. Any suggestions?

java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_12')

:D If I may piggyback on this question. I bought my first GPS unit yesterday. The Explorist 210 and was able to connect with the pc. After I transferred the 9 points, a dialog box flashed that said the points were sent, but I could not find them in the POI file. I had to manually input the caches. Any suggestions?

They're probably in the "geocache points" file, which is separate from the POI file.

I find that with Mapsend Light (available on the Magellan website) you can export gps files directly to the GPSr. I find it works better than Geocache Manager.

x2.. I've been using Lite to manage the caches as well as work with the Topos.... Is there any benefit to using the software that came with the topo map?

I get

No Unit Detected !

Magellan eXplorist Manager was unable to detect any eXplorist

- Check that the USB cable is properly connected at both ends

- Check that the eXplorist is powered on

I've checked the USB, even used every USB port I have on my Toshiba Satellite running Vista. I have nothing else plugged in, I'm not running GSAK (it cant connect either) or any port application (like GPSgate or Bungee).....err why wont the Magellan Geocache Manager talk to my eXplorist 600.

Vista 'mount' the eXplorist as Removable Disk (E:), I left that alone a tried it...now go... so I "Safely Remove" it and still no go.

Help.

Edited by mcpaige

I've converted .loc files to .geo and dragged them to (E:) but I don't see them on my eXplorist 600.

Ok, so I use GSAK to (www.gsak.net) to "GPS --> Export to Magellan eXplorist..." and create a .gs file. I then just drag and dropped that file into my Geocache Pts folder on the drive letter (E:) vista mounted.

seems to work.

I've converted .loc files to .geo and dragged them to (E:) but I don't see them on my eXplorist 600.

Ok, so I use GSAK to (www.gsak.net) to "GPS --> Export to Magellan eXplorist..." and create a .gs file. I then just drag and dropped that file into my Geocache Pts folder on the drive letter (E:) vista mounted.

seems to work.

I had no problems using the Geocache Manager software with my XP laptop, but with Vista, for some reason, I was getting the "not detecting unit" error when I tried to xfer to my unit. Seemed odd, because the unit showed up as an external storage unit, and was usable.

I switched to using MapSend Lite. When I opened a .loc file and tried to xfer, it failed with the same error. But when I saved the geoache points to a file (and gets saved as .gs file), then I was able to xfer the same geocache points to the unit successfully. I guess a similar soluiton to the suggestion to use GSAK to convert over and the do manual copies over to the unit.

One final comment, in MapSend Lite, I noticed that when I opened the ".loc" geoaches, I was able to click on the "Web Page" link in the Cache Details, very nice. But when I opened the geoches from the ".gs" file, this "Web Page" feature wasn't available ---- too bad.