Math Puzzle

Not sure if this is the right forum..but anyway..

ASEAN2 has a geometry puzzle to locate first set of co-ords

Unfortunately I believe that the information presented is too imprecise,

especially considering the x,y (waypoint) values.

Anyone care to come up with solution please?

We won't solve it for you in the forums, but I could at least verify that there was a valid solution for you.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a user by the name of "ASEAN2," and you didn't give us the waypoint for the cache, so right now there is not much I can do.

I have done several puzzles and on one of them, I screwed the info up (like X times Y +C) and it was

funny, because the third or fourth cacher along, couldn't get it. Altho it had already been solved and found by

two or three other people. Then, after I got his email, I saw my error and felt like a dummy.

Even tho I had three other people proof it, it was still bad... Duh... I used to be a printer and was forever

commenting about the importance of proofing things. I'll bet I went over this one 10 times before I posted it.

duh.....it really makes you feel stupid. I felt bad for the guy that had spent so much time working it out,

only to have the wrong answer..

Rick :)

Clarification

The name of the cache is ASEAN2 GCW17E, I have solved it using a CAD system (Unigraphics), about 12 places of decimals.

I asked the owner to look at it and he said I was 54m out, against his graph paper.

I explained how my solution was arrived at, no answer.

I believe that the problem cannot be solved accurately enough by conventional or mathematical means because the initial data is too loose

Wondering if someone woild look and confirm.

I believe that the problem cannot be solved accurately enough by conventional or mathematical means because the initial data is too loose

The first stage can be solved to a precision better than 1 m with the data given.

The second stage has even better precision.

My guess is that your solution method is incorrect.

The first stage can be solved to a precision better than 1 m with the data given.

The second stage has even better precision.

My guess is that your solution method is incorrect.

yes but the solution is not the co-ords you need.. I know what they are, and working backwards from 4 x,y positions the subtended angles are wrong. Try UG or Autocad on the initial problem, any data will give you an answer, but not the correct one.

Im trying to show that anyone attempting it even methodically correct will be wrong, therefore the data needs changing.

Edited by dunderhead

Im trying to show that anyone attempting it even methodically correct will be wrong, therefore the data needs changing.

In your original post you said that the data were "too loose." Now you are saying that they are wrong.

Very different.

It is true that the first stage problem can have no valid solution. But I doubt anybody here is going to take the time to solve it for you.

I suspect that you are using the wrong values for your coordinates into the CAD program. But I don't know that, and I don't have a CAD program myself to test it on. So my suggestion is to take it up with the cache hider.

In your original post you said that the data were "too loose." Now you are saying that they are wrong.

Very different.

It is true that the first stage problem can have no valid solution. But I doubt anybody here is going to take the time to solve it for you.

I suspect that you are using the wrong values for your coordinates into the CAD program. But I don't know that, and I don't have a CAD program myself to test it on. So my suggestion is to take it up with the cache hider.

Too loose and wrong. it's semantics, the guy is my math tutor and this is ASIA, you don't tell people they are wrong, only in a roundabout way, especially if they grade your work.

THe correct values for the wayponts are in the cad data, I have captured as screenshots.

The owner has been advised in a roundabout way (Asia again), my ploy was to send him someone elses calcs, resulting in the wrong answer. "Oh what a tangled web we weave...."

OK - so if you don't want to tell him he's WRONG and LOOSE, then maybe sit down and work with the guy - you obviously know him.

Show him your data, and have him explain how he got his (or switch it around). If he's your tutor one of two things will happen: 1) You'll learn something from him you didn't know or 2) He'll learn something from you HE didn't know.

Either way, you both win - right?

We won't solve it for you in the forums, but I could at least verify that there was a valid solution for you.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a user by the name of "ASEAN2," and you didn't give us the waypoint for the cache, so right now there is not much I can do.

"WE won't solve it for you...." Do you presume to speak for everyone?

FYI I have solved it and contacted the OP

"WE won't solve it for you...." Do you presume to speak for everyone?
No, I was just assuming that the people posting to this forum had integrity.
FYI I have solved it and contacted the OP
Looks like I was wrong.

Oops.

No..you did not properly read the problem..that the solution was giving an incorrect result.

If you look at the increments between the co-ords, they are like dowels in an engineering structure, too close together to do the job properly.

Greater accuracy is achieved by greater spacing, if the solution is intended by graph paper, as I guess the majority are not up to the trig.

Any CAD program does it in a few minutes

You really believe I have no integrity?

Edited by mandygus

I tried it on my CAD program and i belive that the OP is incorect. If the OP would like to talk to me personally about this i would be haoppy to but i dont want to ruin it for anyone else.

Scare Force One

I believe we are talking at x-purposes. I will contact you by email with the results obtained from the problem data, AND the actual co-ordinates of the cache.

I will close this now.