Ftf Bookmark Lists

I keep a public bookmark of my FTFs. In my area FTFs are very competitive and there are several of us who enjoy going after them. I have never seen any harm in keeping a list of my FTFs bookmarked for others that participate in this side-game to see... until recently.

I didn't realize that this is considered by many out there to be bad form. I participated in another forum recently that was directed at another more specific topic but did evolve in this general direction. I thought this issue worthy of its own topic.

Many people seem to be of the opinion that keeping these lists public is considered "gloating" or saying "hey! look at me!" I don't know if this is legitimately bad form or just sour grapes.

I am interested in hearing more of the opinions that cachers have. Do you keep a FTF list? Are you offended if others bookmark one of your caches on their FTF list? Should these lists always be private for personal viewing or do you see any legitimacy in having these public?

I am interested in hearing more of the opinions that cachers have. Do you keep a FTF list? Are you offended if others bookmark one of your caches on their FTF list? Should these lists always be private for personal viewing or do you see any legitimacy in having these public?

I also keep a FTF bookmark list, although I rarely engage in the FTF race anymore. Unlike yours, my list is shared, but not published. I see no reason to tell the world I was FTF, they can read the logs and see that if they need to. I consider published FTF lists to be boastful, and that's not my thing. To each their own.

Edited by DocDiTTo

I too am a FTF hound. I also have a public list displaying my FTF's. It's my opinion that those that complain about us suffer from a lack of insomnia or do not have wives/husbands that love them leaving at the drop of a hat (in my area, the FTF's are usually picked up after about 2-3 hours).

One has to assume that if someone is complaining, then they WANT to be FTF, but are just having difficulty achieving the goal. Perhaps a good thread would be an instructional topic on how to be FTF????

Cache On!

Goodness. I had never considered such a bookmark list as "gloating." It could be percieved as gloating in the way the list is presented, or if maintained by a known FTF hound.

I keep such a list. I do not use it to gloat or show off (I only have 20 or so), but to keep track of caches that I was first to find. Being a fairly open fellow, I share all of my boorkmark lists, just in case someone is interested. I wonder if anyone sees my list as "gloating" or "showing off." I tend to doubt it, since only one of the FTFs on the list is deliberate. In other words, I did not go out of my way to rush to a new cache and log it for a FTF stat (I did do one, which was only 2 miles from my home, and had popped up as I was logging the day's finds). Within my caching area, any new cache that pops up is certainly something I will go find, but all were not a rush, and I reasonably expected them to be found already. It could be this mentality or philosophy is prevalent in the list, thus not crating open disdain?

Within my caching area, any new cache that pops up is certainly something I will go find, but all were not a rush, and I reasonably expected them to be found already. It could be this mentality or philosophy is prevalent in the list, thus not crating open disdain?

Even if you did do it on purpose, I don't see the big deal? Everyone has the same opportunity that I do to get the FTF. It's not like I'm using some kind of magical technology (in fact, I'm 50 pounds overweight so I should get the notifications sooner :laughing: )

I am NOT a FTF fiend. In fact, unless there is some special reason, I go out of my way to NOT be FTF. I don't like competition in teh slightest.

However, if someone makes a FTF bookmark on one of my cache pages, cool. I have no problem with it, so long as it is plain and simple (NO graphics). Yeah, it is gloating, IMO, and there are better uses for public bookmarks, IMO, but I really can't see a problem with it for me. If something is in error and I find it, I will ask teh bookmark owner to make an edit, but big deal.

I say, if you like it, go for it.

uh... yeah, me either. :laughing:

Well, since my list is so public, it is relatively easy to look up my FTFs. A savvy cacher would note that most of my FTFs are a day, and often two or more, after they were approved. All of my finds on new caches fall in that timeframe, it just happens most of the ones that I have logged as FTF seemed to be on the days when the FTF hounds were busy, or something along those lines.

Hrm. Also the way I cached plays into it. I cache only with uploaded coordinates into my GPSr. No pages, no PDA, just the coords. Sometimes, especially when visiting a new area, I do not even know what is new and what is not.

Anyhooooo..... Look at others as you view yourself, I suppose, so no matter what I say, if someone is a FTF hound, they will never believe in a century that I am not a hound.

My list of FTF's is on my user page. I use that list as a personal account of fun memories I've had along the way; in the same way that I keep track of my "milestone" caches. It is in no way meant to gloat or belittle other cachers. What good would ever come of that? :laughing:

I never really thought about using bookmarks as a way of keeping track of FTF's. But I guess if you were worried about offending someone, you could always make it a "private" list.

I totally believe you (not that that matters). I was poking fun at myself. :laughing:

Yes, I guessed as much. However, just in case someone did not realize your poking, I thought I would still type out brilliant excuses for having 20 some FTFs.

Besides, I poked first.

Uh, er... nevermind. :)

When we moved here I was shocked to see how unknown caching was. I'm doing my best to stir up interest in the sport up here. One thing I do is to post the name of the FTFr on the cache description of all my caches as a kind of reward for them. Having heard how some of the a..holes out there are acting about FTFs, I just thought I would ask, what do you guys think about the idea. Am I setting these cachers up as targets, or is it a good way to reward some of the local cachers? :laughing:

As far as list of your FTFs, I see nothing wrong with. If someone gets their panties in a wad just because you got there first, they need some help. Also, "It's not bragging if you can back it up".

Edited by Totem Clan

I am thinking of starting an FTF list myself, although since I only have a handful, I doubt seriously that anyone would consider that I was bragging if I posted it everywhere. I also think that anyone who is concerned about someone else's FTF list is just frustrated that they haven't gotten more themselves. Perhaps a couple of pointers would be appreciated.

I've seen threads where folks actually suggest the FTF leader in an area should actually roll over on a few FTFs --supposedly to make a few newbies happy. I don't get that. You can't be the winner if you were the only contestant. I mean, I am pleased enough with the ones I have, since we have some serious FTF contenders in our area. I wouldn't feel that way if they "let" me have them. On the other hand, I don't do anything special to try to FTF, so maybe I don't really understand the yearning.

[...]

As far as list of your FTFs, I see nothing wrong with. If someone gets their panties in a wad just because you got there first, they need some help. Also, "It's not bragging if you can back it up".

I don't see anything wrong with seeking FTFs, or with keeping a list of them that others can view. I do both.

But I think it's inappropriate to do this via a public bookmark list.

Using a public list, rather than a shared, nonpublic list or something posted in your profile, forces your personal list of accomplishments to appear very prominently on large numbers of pages that belong to other cachers.

I think that's what people are objecting to, and I think they're right. Folks go to cache pages to learn about hides, not about me.

Bragging about FTFs is fine :laughing: , but in my opinion it belongs in 'Found It' logs and personal profiles.

[...]

I don't see anything wrong with seeking FTFs, or with keeping a list of them that others can view. I do both.

Using a public list, rather than a shared, nonpublic list or something posted in your profile, forces your personal list of accomplishments to appear very prominently on large numbers of pages that belong to other cachers.

I think that's what people are objecting to, and I think they're right. Folks go to cache pages to learn about hides, not about me.

Bragging about FTFs is fine :) , but in my opinion it belongs in 'Found It' logs and personal profiles.

Well put! :laughing:

I keep a bookmark list for FTF's, but I don't consider it "gloating" I only have 6, thats nothing.

I did notice it shows on cache pages, but how do you make it show on you profile's bookmark's tab without showing it on the cache pages also? I just want it in my profile, that is all, but right now it is on the cache pages as well.

I like to try for FTF if I can, but that is VERY rare. I'm not competitive about it, but I do think it is fun to try and get there first every now and again.

I keep a bookmark list for FTF's, but I don't consider it "gloating" I only have 6, thats nothing.

I did notice it shows on cache pages, but how do you make it show on you profile's bookmark's tab without showing it on the cache pages also? I just want it in my profile, that is all, but right now it is on the cache pages as well.

[...]

Airmapper, you can 'share' a bookmark list without making it 'public'. The 'public' option is what makes it show up on others' cache pages. Go to Manage Bookmarks, then select Edit for the list in question, then uncheck the box next to Make this list public.

I hope I described that correctly, but the main point is... if you turn the 'public' option off then it will no longer show up on cache pages.

Thanks Urubu :laughing:

When I did that it dissapeared from my profile. I do want it on my profile tab, but not on the cache page. For now I'll leave it as is, but I would in some cases rather restrict the listing to my profile over the cache page. It's only 6 caches, so it's not a problem at the moment.

Bragging about FTFs is fine :) , but in my opinion it belongs in 'Found It' logs and personal profiles.

So what about the cache page owner putting the FTF name on the page? No, it wasn't done by the "winner" but it's still there to be seen by all.

And why are people against FTF lists and not, say, Favorite lists? They're just as much about them (and what they like) as FTF lists are about them (and what they've done). So should ALL public lists be removed?

And why are people against FTF lists and not, say, Favorite lists? They're just as much about them (and what they like) as FTF lists are about them (and what they've done).

Funny, but to me they seem like exact opposites. FTF lists seem to me to be all self-oriented (chest-thumping, etc.). No one else can share in that FTF experience on that cache. On the other hand, the favorites list seem to be other-oriented - trying to share cool caches and/or locations with other cachers.

And why are people against FTF lists and not, say, Favorite lists? They're just as much about them (and what they like) as FTF lists are about them (and what they've done).

FTF lists seem to me to be all self-oriented (chest-thumping, etc.).

There are some interesting opinions here.

To me one cachers chest-thumping is another cacher's fun. Who's to say what someone else finds useful, interesting or entertaining?

Those of us who do participate in the FTF game (and I admit I'm a very small player) might take as much interest in a FTF list as someone else might take in a favorites list. It is interesting to me to see what others have been able to accomplish and sometimes I do browse these bookmarks.

To me, one of the great things about caching is that there are so many different ways to participate. One of which is to go after FTFs. Doing so doesn't make you a bad cacher or self-oriented, it simple makes you somebody who takes some fun out of that particular friendly competition. I have a seven-year old that constantly checks the email to see if a new cache has listed in the evenings. Is he a chest-thumper? Hardly. Does he like beating someone else to the punch? Absolutely! Since when is good-natured competition a bad thing?

I just wish people wouldn't see it as an affront to their own pride to see others take interest in something that they don't care about. For those who choose not to participate - great - do what makes you happy. Just don't spend time raining on others' parades.

I don't title my bookmark list "You All Suck! - Bow down to the FTF!"...although it is tempting. :)

Funny, but to me they seem like exact opposites. FTF lists seem to me to be all self-oriented (chest-thumping, etc.). No one else can share in that FTF experience on that cache. On the other hand, the favorites list seem to be other-oriented - trying to share cool caches and/or locations with other cachers.

My opinion on favorites lists vs. FTF lists is the same as that of Moun10Bike. And I'll sit at that table any day :( But the OP already knows that from another thread.

So yep, put me down in the column of people who think making your FTF bookmark list public and shared, and displayed on cache pages is Tacky, and "chest thumping" (and FTF lists are best left in your profile). But as BPR probably expected when he started the thread, there are varying opinions on the matter, and no one could possibly consider them abuse or misuse of the bookmark list feature. So if there are a few Puritans like myself out there who think they are tacky, who cares?

Really, I think the majority of cachers have no idea how to create their own bookmark list, and don't even notice them :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel