Purchasing Before Cs Is Replaced By Cn

So I think I have decided on a 60c (maybe a 60cx if the price is right.) I was planning on getting a GPS18 w/CS7 since it's about the same price. My question is, when will Navigator become the standard? I don't want to go get a GPS18 today and have them make CN8 the standard software that comes with it 2 days after I drop the bucks on both toys.

Any ideas?

Even if Navigator 8 comes out in the next few weeks Garmin will normally give you a free upgrade. They did when I bought mine. I got mine with City Select 5 and they gave me the upgrade to City Select 6. I am not sure why you are worried anyway. If you get City Select 7 it will not become out of date just because Navigator 8 is out. Most of the updates are to the POI's. If you can live without knowing the newest restaurants out there you wont even notice the diference.

:rolleyes:

City navigator has much larger map "chunks" and so, unless you get city select, I would think twice about getting a unit that does not have expandable memory.

How many city navigator maps will fit in 56meg I wonder?

I know that my old gpsV (19meg) would be about usless with the new city navigator.

So I think I have decided on a 60c (maybe a 60cx if the price is right.) I was planning on getting a GPS18 w/CS7 since it's about the same price. My question is, when will Navigator become the standard? I don't want to go get a GPS18 today and have them make CN8 the standard software that comes with it 2 days after I drop the bucks on both toys.

Any ideas?

I have been told that in some areas 2 chunks will fit and in others only 1. Of course we have been promised that when City Navigator 8 comes out it will be in smaller chunks again so that users who have the older 60C will be able to load map chunks like we used to. Time will tell. in the meantime it looks like you can still get City Select 7 from the Garmin site.

I have been told that in some areas 2 chunks will fit and in others only 1. Of course we have been promised that when City Navigator 8 comes out it will be in smaller chunks again so that users who have the older 60C will be able to load map chunks like we used to. Time will tell. in the meantime it looks like you can still get City Select 7 from the Garmin site.

Right, I was assuming Navigator 8 would be the update for Select 7 so to speak.

Right, I was assuming Navigator 8 would be the update for Select 7 so to speak.

Which is the best for national geocaching? If I suddenly win the lottery and can travel the country in my motorhome, would city navigator limit me too much? Yeah i know, good luck right?

Of course we have been promised that when City Navigator 8 comes out it will be in smaller chunks again so that users who have the older 60C will be able to load map chunks like we used to.

I do not think that it will.

Here in Europe we did get City Navigator some month ago, and it have the same big chunks as in City Naigator 7.

Garmin has only one philosophy, to make more money. So you have to get a new GPS with memory cards.

Of course we have been promised that when City Navigator 8 comes out it will be in smaller chunks again so that users who have the older 60C will be able to load map chunks like we used to.

I do not think that it will.

Here in Europe we did get City Navigator some month ago, and it have the same big chunks as in City Naigator 7.

Garmin has only one philosophy, to make more money. So you have to get a new GPS with memory cards.

That does seem to be true. Just the same I'd hate to buy today and have CN8 with smaller maps come out next week so at this point I'm not going to buy anything. I emailed Garmin but they say it'll take 5-7 days to get back to me. The size of the maps isn't that important to me since I plan on having the laptop available for longer trips anyway.

Nobody knows if there is an official date to "drop" CS7, especially from the GPS18 line?

I'll post whatever Garmin replies with if they actually get back to me.