Volunteering For Geocaching?

jaredl

I was intrested in volunteering for geocacing, or Groundspeak, to go out and reveiw new caches and what not. does any one know who to talk to? i live in tornto and travle alot.

really i'm looking for something to tell the wife so i hve a better excuse to go caching every day.

Pretty simple answer, don't ask, and don't call them, they will call you---honestly...no joke, that is the short and simple answer when people ask.

Now someone a lot smarter then me will direct you to a FAQ section about this.

but they dont have my number yet, or know i am willing to help. you'd think that they would love to have people ofering to help and make there jobs easier, and to make the game more enjoyable to everyone playing. Ive run into a few caches latley that arn't fit to be out there.

You see a cache that you feel is against the guidelines, talk to the hider and if that does not go anywhere contact your local reviewer.

Most reviewers are those who are contacted by Groundspeak and have been caching for a few years and have demonstrated a good working relationship with the community.

So if they really want someone to be a reviewer for a particualr area, they will make sure they contact that person.

And reviewers do not go out and make a physical check of caches:

Does Geocaching.com (or a volunteer) physically check the cache before publishing it?

We wish! We'd love to head out to all those countries and states to check on each and every cache to ensure that they are placed properly. Based on the growth of the sport, however, this would be impossible. If you're not sure about a cache, wait for someone else to check on it and report back to the site.

Before a cache is posted, volunteers check the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and appropriateness before posting the cache to the site

You see a cache that you feel is against the guidelines, talk to the hider and if that does not go anywhere contact your local reviewer.

Most reviewers are those who are contacted by Groundspeak and have been caching for a few years and have demonstrated a good working relationship with the community.

So if they really want someone to be a reviewer for a particualr area, they will make sure they contact that person.

Does Geocaching.com (or a volunteer) physically check the cache before publishing it?

We wish! We'd love to head out to all those countries and states to check on each and every cache to ensure that they are placed properly. Based on the growth of the sport, however, this would be impossible. If you're not sure about a cache, wait for someone else to check on it and report back to the site.

Before a cache is posted, volunteers check the page for inaccuracies, bad coordinates, and appropriateness before posting the cache to the site

yeah it was the "we wish" that mde me think they might be looking for people to help do that. i certantly wouldn't mind running around finding new caches and making sure they wre placed properly and whatnot, even if i couldn't log them.

it would be like giveing something back to the game i have been enjoying for the past 5 years

I do not know how much more cut and dry of an answer their can be, but here is what Groundspeak's offical answer is (as found in that pinned section above called "Pinned: Read First! Geocaching Frequently Asked Questions")

How do I become a volunteer cache reviewer?

Geocaching.com asks geocachers to become volunteer cache reviewers based on an identified need in the local area. Qualifications include experience level (most volunteers have hidden dozens of caches and found hundreds or thousands), reputation within the local geocaching community, involvement with any local geocaching organizations, demonstrated ability to work with land managers, communications skills, and knowledge of the geocache listing guidelines.

The best thing you can do if you'd like to become a cache reviewer is to work on each of the qualifications described above. Then, when you least expect it, you might be asked!

Edited by geoholic28

yeah it was the "we wish" that mde me think they might be looking for people to help do that. i certantly wouldn't mind running around finding new caches and making sure they wre placed properly and whatnot, even if i couldn't log them.

it would be like giveing something back to the game i have been enjoying for the past 5 years

That is a really nice thought, but there are way too many caches listed every day for you to be able to check them all, or even a few of them. Just keep enjoying caching like you are! :ph34r:

That is a really nice thought, but there are way too many caches listed every day for you to be able to check them all, or even a few of them. Just keep enjoying caching like you are! :ph34r:

not really, there are maybe 3 or 4 posted with 100 k of me each wek, and i go looking for all of them anyways.

Anyways it was just an idea. I thought they's be more interested in the help, but i guess not

Anyways it was just an idea. I thought they's be more interested in the help, but i guess not

Despite the great pains that the reviewers take to always refer to themselves as "volunteers," they really are only in the sense that they do so without remuneration. They are asked to become reviewers by Groundspeak, and they act as semi-official representatives of Groundspeak.

I admire the reviewers greatly. They work hard and perform a valuable service. However, I believe that the constant reference to them as "volunteers" gives the misleading impression that they either chose themselves or were chosen by their local geocaching community. Neither is true.

Edited by fizzymagic

You don't volunteer. You are selected by "the Man" who makes sure you do as asked. You are forced into slave labor, and made to work in deplorable conditions approving caches for 16 hours a day. (Conditions include dirty mice trackballs, keyboards with missing letters, and Internet Explorer 6.0....)

I have to go now, the Groundspeak Black helicopter needs to be warmed up, "the Man" wants to talk with you...........

:ph34r::( :(

not really, there are maybe 3 or 4 posted with 100 k of me each wek, and i go looking for all of them anyways.
Yesterday I published 40 caches within a 450km radius. About 50% of them were multi- or mystery-caches. I think today I'll publish my 1500th cache since november 05 - right now the counter shows 1473.

Going out there and actually checking all of them is impossible

cheers

Philipp

Try to get involved in helping your local community first. Do the parks in you area have caching policies? Have they banned caching? If yes, start talking to the local people. If they have a permit policy, volunteer to help. If no, organize a CITO in an area that needs help. The two people I know who were asked to become cache reviewers (both said no) are active on the local level.

Around here, Cleveland Metroparks has a permit system for caches. I'm one of a little more than a half dozen volunteers who venture out to potential cache sites to check for appropriateness, safety, and environmental concerns based on the permit application. We also hide caches for the parks as well as work all their events. These activities make me feel like I'm giving back something to the local caching community.

Give it a try, it's fun.

Despite the great pains that the reviewers take to always refer to themselves as "volunteers," they really are only in the sense that they do so without remuneration. They are asked to become reviewers by Groundspeak, and they act as semi-official representatives of Groundspeak.

I admire the reviewers greatly. They work hard and perform a valuable service. However, I believe that the constant reference to them as "volunteers" gives the misleading impression that they either chose themselves or were chosen by their local geocaching community. Neither is true.

I was asked if I would like to volunteer. In my mind that makes me a Volunteer. I wouldn't have it any other way. I was not told I would be a reviewer the choice was given to me. There is nothing wrong with being asked to volunteer. I could have said no. I was an official rep for the BSA while I was a volunteer. I was asked to Volunteer by the BSA also. Its not an uncommon practice.

i think it whould be cool if there where different reivewers for some parts of the year. of course this makes no sense whatsoever because you want a reviewer who knows a local area. i just think that for students that have the summers off and need community service hours reviewing caches could be a good thing to do. But logisticly it just dosent make sense.

You are already helping by going out and finding caches. You help gc.com make sure the cache is acceptable by logging it, and you let t he cache owner know their cache is in place and whether or not it needs maintenance.

I fact, they expect it of you and are probably wondering why you are goofing around in the forums and not out caching. Now quit reading this and get out there before they get really mad.