Got The Lowrance Expedition C

i did not get the plus package, as US maps are useless for me. I live in india, and will be creating maps myself with tracks. 1GB SD card for new Delhi....hmmm

1. Learning curve is going to be steep. So many features! Good value for money

2. Screen really sucks. Have to agree with ya fellas

3. Online support is fickle when compared to garmagellons. Just have the yahoo group

4. The manual is huuuge. If anyone could point to something consise and nice which can get me started on creating some tracks and all

List of accessories to get

1. HPA-1 so I can attach headphones. It seems like a foolish thing not having a standard headphones jack. I hope the local Fry's store has it, otherwise have to head to Stevens creek BLVD. That means 2 bus changes from my office.

2. Couple of rechargable NiMH batteries, heck I will get a 4 pack. Have the charger and stuff

3. Neoprene case to carry the thing, with a belt clip of course

Suggestions fellas. Any advice appreciated.

If the screen is anything like Garmin's, it sucks indoors, but looks great once you get it outside and the sunnier the better.

It should have come with a quick start guide. Check that out first and it will give you the basics. Once you have those down, then you can get into the more advanced features.

Edited by briansnat

Just curious, why do you think the screen sucks?

with the backlight on its great, but in the sun you have to squint. Also in full light, you need to have the backlight on to see clearly. I have set the contrast and brightness to max and that helps

I just got mine a few days ago and haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet. I do agree about the learning curve, this is definitely not a GPSr for a beginner. Lowrance seems to do things different from both Magellan and Garmin but most stuff, (except for the memory card instead of a cable waypoint entry) makes sense once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure how durable it's going to be compared to my Magellan Meridian but only time will tell I guess. Do like the color screen though. It's nice not having to figure out if that line on the screen is road or a stream.

One of the worst Garmins Ive ever had was the 60Cx, which does not have enough antiglare coating on it. At times the screen will get impossible to see when there is indirect lighting, but I noticed one thing, and that is that the 60Cx is easier to see without the eyeglasses, which those seem to add to the glare effect. I have seen the screen on that GPS darken really bad when the sun is behind the GPS.

I wished there was a spray or some other treatment you could do to the Lowrance or even like my hard-to-see Map60Cx's screen. I know that when I get eyeglasses that they can add antiglare to them, and wished I could just bring in the front plastic lense into an eyeglasses place, to get antiglare, and scratch resistance coatings.

Edited by GOT GPS?