Isn't It Better To Keep A Tb Moving?

Team7thHeaven

We're taking the kids on an impromptu trip. I have done searches around my area and on the way for TB's that might want to go the direction we're going. Most of them I find are in TB Hotels and the owners most likely have rules stating that if you take one, leave one. The TB's also seem to stay put for quite a while. We're new to GC'ing and haven't done TB's yet. I plan on ordering some today, but don't know if they'll make it here in time.

In all the geocaching.com guidelines for TB's, I don't see anything where it states you shouldn't move one if you don't have one to leave. I did see a mention about the Golden Rule, and I would definately rather see any TB we release to keep moving!!

I have found one TB in particular that we can take to places it would like to see. This TB hotel doesn't state these rules specifically, but is labeled as a "TB Trading Post".

What is the correct ettiquete here??

:)

The TB's missions are to TRAVEL, not sit in a hotel or cache. If you can help one with a specific mission, BY ALL MEANS, go pick it up and help it along.

TB hotel "rules" are not set by the TB owners, so I generally regard them with about as much substance as the 'don't remove this tag' labels on my mattress.

If you can trade a TB, great, but don't feel like you HAVE to.

Edited by KoosKoos

The correct ettiquete is to follow the cache owner's rule or not.

My personal choice is to not.

If you're asking me if that one cache has a trading rule, I'd say it doesn't.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The correct ettiquete is to follow the cache owner's rule or not.

My personal choice is to not.

I found a TB called" Suzie the duck". It's is from Lodi WI. And it wants to travel to as many Lodi's in the world. Well It is stuck in Lodi (CA) again! So I am helping it along by adding a tag to the bug listing all the Lodi's I could find on the web. I listed them as best I could in order to get it moving away from CA. I will check off CA so hopefully it will make it's journey.

I found a TB called" Suzie the duck". It's is from Lodi WI. And it wants to travel to as many Lodi's in the world. Well It is stuck in Lodi (CA) again! So I am helping it along by adding a tag to the bug listing all the Lodi's I could find on the web. I listed them as best I could in order to get it moving away from CA. I will check off CA so hopefully it will make it's journey.

Cool, but you should talk to the bug owner before altering the bug in any way (Yes, even if it helps).

Edited by BlueDeuce

Cool, but you should talk to the bug owner before altering the bug in any way (Yes, even if it helps).

I didn't really alter it just added a tag to the chain. Lodi CA is the most famous. It will never leave here if someone doesn't give it a boost. I has been here in Ca for many years. I did sdnt a message but haven't received a message back from them yet.

Follow the goals of the Travel Bug page. The two are not related to each other and unless the cache owner owns the TB too, then you should try to help a Travel Bug achieve its goal. The key word in Travel Bug is Travel. They are not "Sit In TB Hotels Until Someone With Another Bug Comes Along Bugs". If the cache owner doesn't like it they can come in here and post in the whining thread. If it were my bug and it went to a TB hotel, I would hope the very next person would remove it and take it to a cache with a nice long hike into the back country. Take photos, add stories, the more fun you have with it the more fun an owner will have seeing the logs.

If I know I will be visiting a tb hotel, I look to see if there are any TBs that have sat for several weeks or months, and make sure to pick them up. That is the one thing that really irks me about the hotels that have the "take one, leave one" rule--the cute or really interesting bugs come and go, while other bugs just sit and sit and sit, waiting to grow mold.

If I know I will be visiting a tb hotel, I look to see if there are any TBs that have sat for several weeks or months, and make sure to pick them up. That is the one thing that really irks me about the hotels that have the "take one, leave one" rule--the cute or really interesting bugs come and go, while other bugs just sit and sit and sit, waiting to grow mold.

We have a guy here in town that goes and picks up a TB about as soon as he sees that one has been left somewhere. He hardly seems to give others a chance. Opinions?

We have a guy here in town that goes and picks up a TB about as soon as he sees that one has been left somewhere. He hardly seems to give others a chance. Opinions?

I guess I would have to ask what you consider a chance? I like to see everyone enjoy Tbs but leaving it in hopes that someone else will pick it up is not what the TB owner wants.

Personally I think we don't see enough TB traffic in town. If you like I can place a bunch (but then you'll have to go get them.)

I hope this isn't about me considering I don't grab that many TBs! :rolleyes:

Edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

Is there such a thing as "raiding" a cache of its travel bug or coin? I’ve seen people put neat geocoins or Jeeps in their caches, possibly to create a reward for the next new finder. It makes the cache look attractive to new finders.

Then people that have already found the cache on earlier visits come back to that cache and take out all the cool stuff. I just want to know from the community what proper etiquette is. Thanks for the advice!!

Is there such a thing as "raiding" a cache of its travel bug or coin? I’ve seen people put neat geocoins or Jeeps in their caches, possibly to create a reward for the next new finder. It makes the cache look attractive to new finders.

Then people that have already found the cache on earlier visits come back to that cache and take out all the cool stuff. I just want to know from the community what proper etiquette is. Thanks for the advice!!

Some people like shiny objects and there is not much anyone can do about. So whether or not I like it, sometimes people are going to raid a cache.

My personal opinion is - first come first serve.

Some people like shiny objects and there is not much anyone can do about. So whether or not I like it, sometimes people are going to raid a cache.

My personal opinion is - first come first serve.

I see nothing wrong with return to a cache you have already found to get a TB or coin, if you're going to help it meet its goal. For example I'm heading to IL and then to OK on vaction in a couple of weeks. If there are bugs in any of the local caches wanting to go that way, I'll take 'em. However I wouldn't go back to a cache just so I could get a bug or coin just to say I got it.

Having said that. It is first come first serve. The 'ethics' of the game seem to be a matter of personal opinion these days. :rolleyes:

Personally I would prefer to see a bug keep moving instead hibernating in a cache. If they move the bug, isn't that what the owner wanted. :unsure:

As far as "Take one, Leave one". I know of a cache that the bugs were muggled out of twice. The owner put a 1 for 1 rule in place. I don't know if that will solve the problem, but I can understand why he did it.

As a bug owner, I would rather see my bugs taken and moved, cache owner bedamned. Hotels are nice but they're turning into a way to collect bugs without collecting them. I say keep the bugs in play. If you can move it, take it.

Back when yellow jeeps came out I think I moved one or two from one cache to another. When they became scarce people were really trying for them, so if came across one I would 'discover it' and leave it in the cache. I knew there were people excepting to find it in that cache so I didn't want them to waste the trip if I took it.

That seemed fair to me since the "owner" didn't have any goal other than have people find it and I had already claimed my share.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We just did alot of caching in the Outerbanks and took some TB's, we didn't always leave one in exchange, I always check the goal of a TB, if we can meet it, we take it and send it on it's way as soon as possible. I have a couple of TB's on my watchlist, I am hoping to get them to take to FL with me in July.

As far as "Take one, Leave one". I know of a cache that the bugs were muggled out of twice. The owner put a 1 for 1 rule in place. I don't know if that will solve the problem, but I can understand why he did it.

As a bug owner, I would rather see my bugs taken and moved, cache owner bedamned. Hotels are nice but they're turning into a way to collect bugs without collecting them. I say keep the bugs in play. If you can move it, take it.

Yah but what the ones I see are doing is putting a note saying to remember the "Golden Rule" of travelbugs, take one leave one.. if you aren't reading the forums or the site info on travel bugs, you will think they are telling the truth, not just *their* rule for their cache<G>.

Personally I'm going to ignore it for all but one in my town, as the lady's been helpful via email so I will be nice back. Usually I'm the one caching without anything to guide me but my gps so I won't know anyway til I get on the computer! LOL. Too late then! (Yeah, printing out the info would be helpful and I even have a pda to put the stuff on but there ya go, what can I say?

I do (Did?) have bugs to be moved but my planned trips fell apart. So I could put them back locally. You know what? Didn't do it. Current bugs left town with someone else while I was out this morning .. sigh.. still logged under my name. So hey, how do you do a grab? Cause he is going to need to do that! Or I will be forced to do a virtual drop even if I'd rather not.

Personally I'm going to ignore it for all but one in my town, as the lady's been helpful via email so I will be nice back.

Ain't that a bear? I've come across restrictive TB hotels owned by people I know and like. Then what do you do? I'd feel like a collosal jerk giving a lecture. Just as bad to raid the cache without explanation. I usually...ummm...tapdance.

I've come across restrictive TB hotels owned by people I know and like.

I always think that there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice.

Just grab the bull by the horns and repeat the obvious.

"TB's want to travel, help another geocacher and move their TB."

I once had a geocacher tell me that they had worked very hard collecting the TB's for their hotel. :)

It never occurred to them that they went out and collected and sequestered the property of other geocachers and that they did that in direct opposition to the owner's wishes in every case.

If you take TB's every time you see them and and drop them off, hopefully closer to the goal the owner has chosen, and then log that adventure, you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, realize that each TB you help represents real assistance you have provided to another geocacher. Being "greedy" to help other geocachers is probably a good thing in almost every case, though I will admit I do accept that there are narrow exceptions to every rule. (except this one)

TB's are never trade items and TB's should never be treated as trade items.

Every TB wants to Travel, every TB is owned by another geocacher.

We are like the bus drivers and the TBs are the passengers.

Travel Bugs want to travel, they don't want to wait for the next bus.

Pick them all up, all the time, help every one you can.

Geocachers who make a special trip to get TB's are doing a good thing, every TB you help has an owner and you are helping the owner when you help the TB.

I have a Travel Bug Hotel and I hope that the wording on the cache page is clear. I figure the best way to counteract misinformation is to advertise from a homemade pulpit. :huh: