Uk Satnav\gps

Hiya,

Just a quickie and I bet its been asked before ... a work colleague of mine is interested in Geocaching. He thinks it'll be good to get the kids out and all that. However, he also wants to buy a SatNav for the car. Millets have suggested a Garmin with some Topo software on it. Can anybody offer offer any guidance on a UK SatNav\GPS that does it all?

Hiya,

Just a quickie and I bet its been asked before ... a work colleague of mine is interested in Geocaching. He thinks it'll be good to get the kids out and all that. However, he also wants to buy a SatNav for the car. Millets have suggested a Garmin with some Topo software on it. Can anybody offer offer any guidance on a UK SatNav\GPS that does it all?

I'm not sure about one that does it all. I use tomtom in the car and a GPS 60 when on foot, it works for me. I am not sure how detailed the topo software goes, maybe someone else knows this.

The UK Topo software is brilliant, it auto routes on the roads, and for the first time, the position of UK rivers is accurate. It also has quite a few (but not all) paths and bridleways on, though the coverage is patchy.

If your friend does opt for this software though, they will be best off getting one of the x series Garmins with the removable memory card.

I use this on a Legend Cx, but as you will be using it in a car, the 60Cx or CSx will be better suited.

The etrex series only get the best signal when they are held horizontal (Ideal on a bike, but not so good in a car as you wouldn't be able to see the screen).

The GPS Map 60Cx and CSX on the other hand are meant to be held upright, so are better suited if you intend to use them for auto-routing in the car.

The UK Topo maps are expensive, but well worth it IMHO, and if you buy online, can be had for about £135

UK Topo on www.wiggle.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Adrian

I have just got a Navman Pin 570. It comes with SmartST which does a great job in the car. I loaded in Memory Map which means I have a scrolling OS map in my hand for when I get out of the car. It also came with a database of not only all the speed, sorry safety camera but also the locations of laybys, etc where they setup mobile speed cameras. It is a PDA and plays MP3 files. Not cheap at £230 plus the cost of Memory Map but some satnav systems alone cost much more. I am chuffed to bits with it. The only drawback is battery life at about 3 1/2 hours which is OK for most geocaching but not for a longer day out on the hills.

I still have a Garmin eTrex which will stand rough treatment better and the battery lasts longer - no satnav though.