Garmin 60csx And Geocaches

I've just bought a 60csx after many years using a Sportrak. On the Find screen there is a Geocache icon. If you click on this you should be able to choose a Geocache, but how do you download geocaches to the GPS?I can see how I upload waypoints and POIs, but can't find anywhere where it tells me how to upload geocaches. Or am I missing something obvious?

From the FAQ in my signature line:

Geocaching mode is really just a special way of sorting and keeping track of waypoints. If you load a waypoint with a Geocaching symbol (by default, a closed treasure chest), then that waypoint will appear when you press FIND » 'Geocache' » ENTR. Pressing these keys lists geocache waypoints you have loaded. (By pressing MENU, you can select 'Find by Name' to show all Geocaches in alphabetical order, or 'Find Nearest' to show the nearest 50 Geocaches.) If you select a geocache, and then press 'Goto', the compass page appears, with a special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop'. You can proceed to the cache, and when found, press the 'Found' button. The GPSr will note your find on the GPS calendar, change the symbol to 'found Geocache' (by default, an open treasure chest) and ask if you would like to find the next nearest cache. Pressing the 'Note' button displays the note entered for the waypoint at the top of the screen. The key then changes to 'Data'. Pressing 'Data' restores the compass screen.

Questions from this Magellan user considering going with Garmin:

So the geocaches that are found are noted on the calendar. Is there a timestamp for when you marked the cache as found? Or is it only marked with the date?

Also, is there a way to get a list of the found geocaches besides looking at the calendar? Can you isolate the waypoints with the found geocache symbol?

I've been looking at the manual for the 60Cx, but not too much there about geocaching.

So the geocaches that are found are noted on the calendar. Is there a timestamp for when you marked the cache as found? Or is it only marked with the date?

The found geocaches are listed chronologically when you click the date on the calendar, but they are not stamped with the time you found them (although you could add the time as a waypoint note, manually). I have found the calendar feature to be extremely useful for reviewing the found caches for the day.

Also, is there a way to get a list of the found geocaches besides looking at the calendar? Can you isolate the waypoints with the found geocache symbol?

Yes. You can list waypoints by symbol on the unit and on the desktop in Mapsource.

Geonerd,

When you click on Geocaches in the find menu, it brings up the caches not found, click on menu again and you get the option to see found Geocaches, also the option to find by name, delete, change reference, and Geocache Setup.

In some ways the Magellan's Geocache feature on the explorists is more comprehensive, by using the Geocache icons, and the basic info. But I prefer the way the Garmin operates. I will tell you more and do a few screen shots, but I have to leave right now to go to the dentist.

I'm back. Here are some screen shots of the Geocaching function.

2.JPG

Here is the Geocaching find screen

3.JPG

4.JPG

Here are the found caches

5.JPG

When you select a cache that has not been found this screen appears

6.JPG

Hitting goto brings up the compass screen. If you hit note it will show the cache name. Once the cache is marked as found this screen comes up.

7.JPG

Hit find next and off you go. What I like about this versus the Magellan is that when you push the goto, it just goes to it, even if there is an existing goto. No having to clear existing goto and all of that.

Hope this helps. I agree that the info in the manual on the Geocaching function is rather vague.

Edited by paulamur

But how I store over 1800 caches in my 60CSx - still with the Geocache function?

I think there is some hard limit for the number of waypoints stored...

The 60CSx is limited to a total of 1000 waypoints. Since geocaches are nothing but waypoints with a treasure chest icon, there is no way to store 1800 waypoints, with or without the Geocache function, on the 60CSx.

You can store an unlimited number of Custom POIs (limited only by memory card capacity, anyway), but the Geocache function doesn't apply to POIs.

--Larry

I'm looking at this Garmin 60Csx, I'm concerned about the map software purchase after. What is the software I'd need to purchase?

I have the MapSend Topo that I purchased several years ago with my Magellan Meridian Platinum. Will this work, or will I have to make an additional software purchase, and if so, what do you recommend that covers the U.S.

What additional purchases will I be looking at?

Thanks tons,

Miam

But how I store over 1800 caches in my 60CSx - still with the Geocache function?

I think there is some hard limit for the number of waypoints stored...

The 60CSx is limited to a total of 1000 waypoints. Since geocaches are nothing but waypoints with a treasure chest icon, there is no way to store 1800 waypoints, with or without the Geocache function, on the 60CSx.

You can store an unlimited number of Custom POIs (limited only by memory card capacity, anyway), but the Geocache function doesn't apply to POIs.

--Larry

May be with the next firmware I¨ll be able to store more over 1000 waypoints (the best way - on the storage card)

Bumping this, hoping for an answer. Just need to know how much software I'm looking to purchase with a new 60Csx. Thanks Again...

I'm looking at this Garmin 60Csx, I'm concerned about the map software purchase after. What is the software I'd need to purchase?

I have the MapSend Topo that I purchased several years ago with my Magellan Meridian Platinum. Will this work, or will I have to make an additional software purchase, and if so, what do you recommend that covers the U.S.

Thanks tons,

Miam

Bumping this, hoping for an answer. Just need to know how much software I'm looking to purchase with a new 60Csx. Thanks Again...

Thanks tons,

Miam

No Magellan software will work with a Garmin.

Thanks tons,

Miam

You'll probably want City Navigator V8. If you hike or go off road a lot you may also want Mapsource Topo.