PA DCNR Areas

gnbrotz

I know there are probably only a couple people who can actually answer this with certainty, but I wanted to throw it out there and see if I could get an answer.

When caches are submitted for review, how does the reviewer tell if the cache is in a regulated area (specifically PA DCNR State Parks, Forests, etc.)? Is there a particular website or mapset that is the preferred source of obtaining this info?

It's one of the more difficult things I've found to do in this state.

I start by looking for a name on the topo or google or geocaching maps. If I find a name, I look it up on the DCNR's website and get a more detailed map of the area.

I always try to look at the closest cache to the hide to see if it has any information about necessary permission needed. (Placed with DCNR permission, approved by CC Parks, etc.)

Finally I say a non-denominal prayer and hit publish!

If the cache page gives no hint that the cache is in a regulated area, then the reviewer relies on the online mapping tool links on the cache page, plus local knowledge, in order to spot geocaches hidden in regulated areas. With more than a dozen national, state and local-level geocaching policies to keep track of, that can be a real challenge -- especially when the maps don't identify the cache site as being under the jurisdiction of an agency with a geocaching policy!

Once we believe that a cache is in an area with a geocaching policy, we ask the owner about compliance. If questions arise about boundaries, etc., we generally rely upon the land manager's own official maps if these are available online.

It's important to remember that reviewers are just double-checking the work that ought to be done by cache owners. We are reviewers, not regulators. It is up to the cache owner to determine what constitutes "adequate permission," and to follow any geocaching policy published by the land manager. We try to catch as many of these issues as we can, but nothing substitutes for good homework and field observations by the cache owner.

Crazy thought and not sure if this is even possible, but maybe the powers to be at geocaching.com could make some of the tools the reviewers use more public so geocachers could more responsibly find reasonable cache locations. I don't know what if any tools reviewers are currently using other then the internet. Personally I have a hard time finding places for caches because I am not sure where they are allowed, I guess part of it is just cause I am still a newbie too.

If the cache page gives no hint that the cache is in a regulated area, then the reviewer relies on the online mapping tool links on the cache page, plus local knowledge, in order to spot geocaches hidden in regulated areas. With more than a dozen national, state and local-level geocaching policies to keep track of, that can be a real challenge -- especially when the maps don't identify the cache site as being under the jurisdiction of an agency with a geocaching policy!

Once we believe that a cache is in an area with a geocaching policy, we ask the owner about compliance. If questions arise about boundaries, etc., we generally rely upon the land manager's own official maps if these are available online.

It's important to remember that reviewers are just double-checking the work that ought to be done by cache owners. We are reviewers, not regulators. It is up to the cache owner to determine what constitutes "adequate permission," and to follow any geocaching policy published by the land manager. We try to catch as many of these issues as we can, but nothing substitutes for good homework and field observations by the cache owner.

Yes and the owner could provide some proof of boundaries. Many of the state park, forest, and game land maps are out of date. They purchase more land, but don't want to shell out for new mapping or updating web sites.