Night Hunting

Yes on both accounts. Some people just like to bang around in the dark with or without a flashlight. There are also some made specifically for nighttime where reflectors are mounted and usually can ONLY be done at night. Usually these types are in safe enough surroundings that you are unlikely to fall off a cliff or into a big hole and such. I've done both. I like both.

Are there caches done specifically for night time hunting or do poeple just like the thrill of a night hunt? How many of you do it?

Yes there are some night caches, Here's one that is near me, to quote from the cache page:

This cache is for Night Cachers ONLY! Log ins must be from dusk to dawn.

No, I've never gone at night, but will try it someday. In my younger days I spent many a long night walking through the woods, it would be very tough for me to get lost even without the gps. :P

Are there caches done specifically for night time hunting or do poeple just like the thrill of a night hunt? How many of you do it?

There is a group here in New England called the GeoNinjas -- night cachers! I went out with them one night, and we came up empty. It was FUN! It is a whole different experience. On the way back, I stopped by a previous DNF and located it much easier in the dark in an area some called "spooky" during the day! Headlights and LED flashlights -- quite the deal.

Then, there are the FTF nuts that will do anything, including night caching, in order to get to a new one first!

Night only specific caches? Interesting. Try to think of a hide that could ONLY be found at night!

Yes on both accounts. Some people just like to bang around in the dark with or without a flashlight. There are also some made specifically for nighttime where reflectors are mounted and usually can ONLY be done at night. Usually these types are in safe enough surroundings that you are unlikely to fall off a cliff or into a big hole and such. I've done both. I like both.

Not exactly sure I'd like falling off a cliff of into a big hole :P:P:P:P

Edited by InHope

lots of time we go out in the evening only to end up in the dark. E.S.P. is good to have when you are in the dark without a good flashlight. PDA backlight only goes so far! Going at night adds a new dimension to the game, like nocturnal animals. tree roots and other natural debris have a whole new role too. I have never done a night specific cache but would like too when I get the chance.

bwmick

We just did a cache designed specifically for nightime hunting. It was great. I don't know how to find others that are made for night hunting, this one was recommended by the cache owner. You had to follow 6 stages of reflective tacks. DOT, DOT, DARK in Nevada. It really was alot of fun.

I actually prefer caching at night to caching during the day (except on caches with an awesome view; in that case, daytime is the only time). Night caching is definitely best for urban micros, cause muggles aren't so much of a problem, and the dark adds a little bit of a challenge, sometimes. The only down side to night caching is that a lot of parks are closed at night (here in PA anyway) so they're off limits. I've done urban caches at night, woodsy caches at night, and even a night cache that required hiking out 3 miles down off a mountain after dark.

Night caching rocks. When I hear there are people who have never tried it, it astounds me! It's so much more fun than during the day, everyone should try it a couple times just for the experience.

My two favorite night caches? Cove Mountain Lights in the Night and The Forbidden Forest

I love to night cache just to make it harder and for the simple fact that no ones around....the best part is when a cop sees u comming out of the woods with a flash light and asks you what the F%#$ you are doing! and then you have to explain to him why you are out at 1am looking for a box in the woods by yourself, good times lol. especially those new york cops that seem to be EVERYWHERE you are and always on your back!

Cracker In The Hat, Sherman T. Potter and I go night caching frequently as this is we can typically get a night out together due to work schedules. Night caching ROCKS, plus it has opened me up to a new world of obsession: flashlights. I now have an incredibly powerful incan, a few great LEDs, and a wonderful Gladius on its way this week.

Lots and lots of fun. As mentioned before the darkness adds a new twist on the game. Roots, mud, shadows, etc. all play a role.

Check out Midnight in the Garden of Good And Evil (GCT3VO) down in Apex (south of Raleigh and Durham) NC. A cache that can ONLY be done at midnight or 7 minutes thereafter. The Althiometrists design some cool caches. I haven't been there yet, but it is on the list if I can ever convince my wife to let me go cacheing at midnight.