Which One?

Hillbilly-Rockstar

I have been very busy the last couple days trying to decide wether or not to get a Legend or just the normal yellow Garmin Etrex. I'm ok with the new price of a normal Etrex, and if I decide to go with a Legend I will need to find it for under $100

So my questions are...

>Which one do you think is better the yellow Etrex or the Legend??/

>If legend where is the 'best buy' at. (I'm 13, and have spent WAY TOO MUCH money on webspace and such)

I have found two so far using Google Earth but the images in my area are so cruddy and blurry it is close to impossible to use Google Earth.

Thanks!

-Eric

I'm new at this, so I'll ask maybe a dumb question.

Can you download maps to the receiver with out having to buy their propriety software? ie: MapSource

All manufacturers market propriatary mapping software for their units ... you can roll your own and upload them, but it requires a lot of work and there isn't any real database of this kind of information. So, you pretty much need to buy the manufacturers,

I have been very busy the last couple days trying to decide wether or not to get a Legend or just the normal yellow Garmin Etrex. I'm ok with the new price of a normal Etrex, and if I decide to go with a Legend I will need to find it for under $100

So my questions are...

>Which one do you think is better the yellow Etrex or the Legend??/

>If legend where is the 'best buy' at. (I'm 13, and have spent WAY TOO MUCH money on webspace and such)

I have found two so far using Google Earth but the images in my area are so cruddy and blurry it is close to impossible to use Google Earth.

Thanks!

-Eric

Legend definitely ... the Legends gives you base maps (and the ability to later add street maps, etc.) and also comes with the computer cable and ability to download waypoints automatically. You can find these used on eBay for about $80 (make sure the cable is included).

First of all I tried the USAmaps thing, didn't work. I download it, and even opened the program, but couldn't connect with terraserver-usa.com. So I'll try later.

So it sounds like the Legend beats the feild eh'? So where can I get it for a price under $100?

-Eric

Best bet will probably be Ebay for that. I found a legend, cables, wrist straps, and topo in a package deal for 149...which is about 300 seperately

eta: I just started doing this a couple days ago. The maps have helped tremendously already, and the interface is really easy to work.

Edited by InHope

First of all I tried the USAmaps thing, didn't work. I download it, and even opened the program, but couldn't connect with terraserver-usa.com. So I'll try later.

So it sounds like the Legend beats the feild eh'? So where can I get it for a price under $100?

-Eric

You're not going to get it new for under $100, but I've seen the Legend for under $120.

If you get the basic eTrex you are going to want the PC cable. That is a $30 add on with the yellow, but it comes standard with the Legend, so when you factor in that, the prices are really close.

So What is the downside of buying used (like off of Ebay)? They have good prices, but coudn't there be some kind of damage? Like with cell phones I've heard that they can get water damage. People are trying to bring them back to radio shack and they get no waranty beacause of water damage, they claim they didn't even know it happend. Thanks for the help.

Oh Yeah, doesn't the etrex yellow not have WAAS like the legend, seems like that would be a pretty big drawback. For me any way :D

Dealing on Ebay can be quite easy and safe if you look at the sellers statistics. Look for someone with a high rating and a lot of transactions and you should be safe. Remember it is pretty hard to have a perfect rating, there is always someone who won't be satisfied even if you gave them the item. :D

Dealing on Ebay can be quite easy and safe if you look at the sellers statistics. Look for someone with a high rating and a lot of transactions and you should be safe. Remember it is pretty hard to have a perfect rating, there is always someone who won't be satisfied even if you gave them the item. :D

Make sure the transactions occurred over a period of time. A lot of transactions, all on the same day means something's fishy. That said, as long as you are wary, Ebay is as safe as anyplace.

Oh Yeah, doesn't the etrex yellow not have WAAS like the legend, seems like that would be a pretty big drawback. For me any way :laughing:

The Yellow eTrex does have WAAS, but only after a certain firmware version. I'm not sure which. And you cannot take one of the non-WAAS Yellow eTrexes and upgrade it to a WAAS-capable eTrex.

Don't get too hung up on the WAAS thing. Depending on where you live and the surrounding visibility, sometimes you can't even get a lock on the WAAS satellites. It's nice for a little better accuracy when you can use it, but far from necessary.