Down But Not Out

InHope

What size were the caches you were looking for? They weren't "Virtual" caches were they?

For your first ones, try looking for Large or Regular-size containers that are rated a 1 or 1.5 for Difficulty.

The smaller caches can be very difficult to find . . . even for experienced cachers. On a recent trip, I DNFd about one out of every six caches I looked for . . . :laughing:

What size were the caches you were looking for? They weren't "Virtual" caches were they?

For your first ones, try looking for Large or Regular-size containers that are rated a 1 or 1.5 for Difficulty.

The smaller caches can be very difficult to find . . . even for experienced cachers. On a recent trip, I DNFd about one out of every six caches I looked for . . . :laughing:

Oh one was 2 the other was 2.5. The reason I went for those though is that they're in areas that I'm pretty familiar with. The 2.5 was a puzzle one so I figured it was 2.5 because of the math involved. The 2 one I just didn't look for the right thing. The 2 I'm pretty sure I'll find tomorrow...going to go do a 1/1 and 1.5/1 tomorrow prolly too.

I must say I still had fun :rolleyes:

Ah . . . puzzles . . . those don't exist in my world. I eliminate them from my Pocket Queries . . . :laughing:

Having fun is what it is all about! And seeing the new places you never would have found any other way. :rolleyes:

Today I took a hike through the infant graveyard from 19th cen. very interesting.

Don't give up on the first few DNFs.

When I got started several months ago, I was using a Magellan GPS2000. Found my 1st and 2nd caches with this unit (even though the GPSr wasn't quite right).

After that, I couldn't find anything. I beat the bushes at several sites and just couldn't find anything.

That's when I was able to compare my GPS2000 to a friend's GPS. I found out my GPSr was WAY OUT (don't know why), so it was no wonder I wasn't finding anything.

When out and bought an eXplorist 100 (on sale) and found 3 on my first weekend! My 100 is far more accurate than my old GPS2000.

Now I'm up over 35 found caches. Several caches I had to hunt several times before finding them. I am hooked, and go our geocaching every weekend (well, I try).

So the answer is: DON'T GIVE UP! Compare your equipment with someone else to ensure your accuracy.

Edited by Fuzzywhip

And the age old question now is, "Could you stop ?".

We haven't gone out since Sunday. I'm off today but we need to clean house. Probably will be going again Sunday or early Saturday before work. I'm concerned about what we're going to do once we finish all of the local caches. Probably will have to cut down to once a month.

The smaller caches can be very difficult to find . . . even for experienced cachers. On a recent trip, I DNFd about one out of every six caches I looked for . . . :)

Oh one was 2 the other was 2.5. The reason I went for those though is that they're in areas that I'm pretty familiar with. The 2.5 was a puzzle one so I figured it was 2.5 because of the math involved. The 2 one I just didn't look for the right thing. The 2 I'm pretty sure I'll find tomorrow...going to go do a 1/1 and 1.5/1 tomorrow prolly too.

I must say I still had fun ;)

Caches are not "2" and "3"s, that the terrain or difficultly level. Caches are either traditional, puzzle or virtual and they can be "micro", "small", "regular" or larger, with an ammunition can as the standard for a regular. Micros can be really difficult to find, particularly if the hider is trying to be clever and make the person work to find their cache. Small caches are usually some kind of plastic container and micros are anything the size of a 35 MM film container on down. GPS coordinates may be 50 feet or more from the actual location, so if it isn't where your GPS tells you to go, look around the entire area.

Jeez and I know I was standing right on top of both! I just couldn't find them. I spent 30 mins riffling through some bushes at a large cemetary...nothin. I'm going to go back again tomorrow and look. ;)

Hang in there and have fun.I was 0 for 6 today and very frustrated.But late in the day I went back and got two micro's on the second try.Only my second day at this.Got 3 yesterday. Im using an old Garmin 12XL,seems to work well though at times it acts funny:))

The smaller caches can be very difficult to find . . . even for experienced cachers. On a recent trip, I DNFd about one out of every six caches I looked for . . . :lol:

I must say I still had fun :lol:

Caches are not "2" and "3"s, that the terrain or difficultly level. Caches are either traditional, puzzle or virtual and they can be "micro", "small", "regular" or larger, with an ammunition can as the standard for a regular. Micros can be really difficult to find, particularly if the hider is trying to be clever and make the person work to find their cache. Small caches are usually some kind of plastic container and micros are anything the size of a 35 MM film container on down. GPS coordinates may be 50 feet or more from the actual location, so if it isn't where your GPS tells you to go, look around the entire area.

Yep, thanks for the heads up. If you saw we were talking difficulty, so I didn't even bother including terrain.