The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

OK, time for a new one.

Show the co-ords, in GC.com format, of a location within a few hundred miles of the UK which has a Variation of exactly zero this year.

Accurate within 10 miles will do, but extra points for better accuracy.

I'll go for GCB0F3 - Thrianta stam (vernieuwd) aka "OASE" by RHGS . If I nip up to Norwich International Airport (NWI) I could catch a flight to Schiphol and bag in a bout 3 hours.

[Edited to add link - did guess Emden having taken the ferry to Cuxhaven, but was then tempted to peek, so I found I was 0.20º out :ninja: ]

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Ding! (where have you heard that before?) :ninja:

Fire away!

Saw it on one of the History programs on Channel 4 (I think) :) They had a go at creating a replica.

OK, next question.

Which comedian helped Queen write the musical "We Will Rock You"?

OK, next question.

Which comedian helped Queen write the musical "We Will Rock You"?

Sorry still none the wiser are there multiple quizzes going on here or do we all get to chip in with one. Its real fun in this pub.

Jango picks up The Golems pie and throws it across the room - SPLAT!!!!!!

My question is ... GUMPH - Jango gets hit in the mouth by a pork scratching!!!! :ninja::D:)

HMS Bounty

So explain the connection please

What, no lucky guesses! :D:ninja:

Err was Bligh from Norfolk, the ship built in Norfolk and as regards the monkeys....is that the first county in England that monkeys were brought into...(possibly on the Bounty) :):D

Edited by Nediam

Castaways

Thats right nedian all your answers are just castaways. So stop fishing hoping that we'll bite and give it away.

Mhh that nedian, must try harder.

4/10 for your spelling.....it's Nediam only one "n" Go and stand in the corner :D:D:ninja::)

(For the record, there is a connection between Bligh, Norfolk and Monkeys regarding Castaways :D )

I'll go for GCB0F3 - Thrianta stam (vernieuwd) aka "OASE" by RHGS . If I nip up to Norwich International Airport (NWI) I could catch a flight to Schiphol and bag in a bout 3 hours.

[Edited to add link - did guess Emden having taken the ferry to Cuxhaven, but was then tempted to peek, so I found I was 0.20º out :ninja: ]

Was I right Forester, and what are your connections or is this more fishing. Did you know that in Bligh's day british captains put more trust in French charts than there own?

Not fishing.

Bligh's name is deeply connected with Norfolk Island, which is where the monkey puzzle tree comes from.

As for quality of charts, I'd take a Bligh chart over any French rubbish any day. The man was a brilliant hydrographic surveyor and was well trained by his mentor, Captain Cook. He was an outstanding seaman, who was only let down by his lousy judgement of human character. His choice of that fop Christian was particularly lamentable.

Bligh's name is deeply connected with Norfolk Island, which is where the monkey puzzle tree comes from.

DING! - correct, of course George vancouver also sailed with Cook and had the great fortune to be a Norfolkman as was nelson under whose command Bligh fought at Trafalgar (though I think he may actually have been on Collingwoods wing). Of course a small part of nelson's maritime success was that having served in the merchant marine he sought out local navigational knowledge and had no compunction about using Frenchie charts whatever his views on dandified Frenchie dress codes introduced by the admiralty in the 1790s.

Over to you Forester.

I forgot to say: yes, that cache is pretty much slap bang on the 0° isogonal.

Dogum! I've only 10 minutes to make it to check in before they close the gates on KL1510 so it looks like it's going to have to wait till tomorrow before I bag that one. Must go search for some other good caches arund Groningen. :ninja:

OK, on a connected theme: name five occurrences of a monkey or monkeys aboard ship.

1. powder monkey - takes charges from powder room to the gunners
  2. grease monkeys - found in enginerooms marquerading as human beings
  3. monkeys fist - a ball shaped knot which forms part of a heaving line
  4. brass monkey - those mythical racks for storing iron shot in; except of course in very cold weather :ninja:
  5. monkey - another name for a fiddle or gimble round a table to stop your lobscouse ending in your lap

{edited to remove the 6th monkey}

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Yup, that's 5 monkeys.

You could also have chosen:

monkey island -- the roof of the bridge flat;

monkey face -- triangular plate with three holes for the pins of one shackle to a tug and two shackles to the towing bridle;

powder monkey -- boy whose job was to deliver power to gun crews;

monkey board -- observation or working platform attached to a mast or other high place;

You got five, so your turn...

I admit - I cheated! :P

How many rooted planar trees are there on 6 vertices such that the root has exactly one child?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution: If the root has exactly one child, then that child and the 4 other descendents form a rooted planar tree with 5 vertices. So the total number is C_4=14.

Hope this is the correct answer... :P

In Botticelli's 'The Birth of Venus', what is Venus standing on?