The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Ok - which species is thought to contain the most DNA per cell?

Is this just animals or do plants count? Not sure I know in any case but I do know it is not homo-sapiens since the amount of DNA does not correspond to complexity,

Helen

Plants are species too :huh: just to clarify this question, I am after the organism with the largest genome rather than the absolute amount of DNA per cell.

Plants are species too :huh: just to clarify this question, I am after the organism with the largest genome rather than the absolute amount of DNA per cell.

I only ask the question bacause I have a feeling it is not an animal. I think generally largest genome and amount of DNA is going to be the same but it is good to be specific :huh:

My previous comment about size of genome and complexity still stands; there is repetitive DNA that does not do anything which makes up the majority of most eukaryotic (why can I not spell that? - probably because I am remembering it from C's biology revision two years ago!) organisms' DNA,

Helen

Edited to correct spelling!

Edited by T-girls

Thanks - I was lucky on that one as at first glance I thought it was Michael Caine on the right!

Ok - which species is thought to contain the most DNA per cell?

I'm guessing it is a fairly "complicated" animal so I'll go with a Duck-billed Platypus? :huh::huh:

It not the Duck-billed platypus, although interestingly there have been suggestions and proposals to sequence its genome to see how it differs and how it is similar to more usual mammals. The proposal can be found here.

Plants are species too :( just to clarify this question, I am after the organism with the largest genome rather than the absolute amount of DNA per cell.

I only ask the question bacause I have a feeling it is not an animal. I think generally largest genome and amount of DNA is going to be the same but it is good to be specific :(

My previous comment about size of genome and complexity still stands; there is repetitive DNA that does not do anything which makes up the majority of most eukaryotic (why can I not spell that? - probably because I am remembering it from C's biology revision two years ago!) organisms' DNA,

Helen

So going in the opposite direction, the amoeba?

Plants are species too :( just to clarify this question, I am after the organism with the largest genome rather than the absolute amount of DNA per cell.

I only ask the question bacause I have a feeling it is not an animal. I think generally largest genome and amount of DNA is going to be the same but it is good to be specific :(

Helen

So going in the opposite direction, the amoeba?

nope

Lily?

DING!!

Aha sorry didn't see your post there yes the lily is indeed the organism with the largest genome, apporximately 500 times bigger than humans. Quite why genome size doesn't correlate with complexity isn't understood, but there is a correlation with cell, rahter than organism size.

If plants weren't included, the newt is the animal with the largest genome just a fraction less than the lily.

Edited by chizu

What is the name of the nobel prize winning biologist who died in 1955, leaving behind one of the 20th centuries most important discoveries in medicine?

Albert Einstein?

Edited for not reading the question properly!

Edited by chizu

DING!! ... ok maybe that was too easy ? :rolleyes:

Thanks - well I am a biologist so maybe I had a head start!

What was the first complete song played on Radio 1 when it first started in 1967 and who was the artist?

Edited by chizu

DING!! ... ok maybe that was too easy ? :rolleyes:

Thanks - well I am a biologist so maybe I had a head start!

What was the first complete song played on Radio 1 when it first started in 1967 and who was the artist?

Flowers in the Rain, by The Move

Another DING!!!

Flowers in the Rain, by The Move

Another DING!!!

Sorry, I'm old enough to remember!

(It was of course played by Tony Blackburn)

When Radio 1 started, what was No. 1 in the charts (hint: I certainly didn't buy this!)

Although I am not old enough, for some reason I knew the first song played on Radio 1 was Flowers in the Rain. Must look earlier :rolleyes:

Not sure what was number one in the charts in September 1967. I do know that Procol Harum were in the charts and got to number one with Whiter Shade of Pale and no doubt the Beetles were number one at some point in the year but your hint that you did not buy it suggests more of a singer that the women were screaming at and one not so obvious.

I will leave it to others more qualified (or older),

Helen