The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Anyway, answer the question - I've been up a long time - need my bed now ;)

civilised

:huh: Sorry civilised but I'm stuck, though I know its not the God Father so for me its a toss up between James Cromwell's police Captain in LA Confidential or R(I'm really guessing here) Road to Perdition - though I wasn't really paying attention - ask me a Howard Hawks question and I'd be on more solid groud. ;):)

Full is the older brother

Half is the younger brother...

You forgot his twin, named Double :D

OK - you've all proved you can read the names of our latest caches, plus we've got a few more Nelsonian phrases hidden away beyond the 11 we have already listed there. :D

But back on topic, no William was an older brother, but not the oldest.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

LOl Jango & Bobb sorry to insult you with the simplicity of my last question I'll try to do better next time. I didn't realise that you had a Nelson fettish!

Anyway big brother? He did have a brother called William didn't he? But you're saying that isn't the eldest. So is it another tradional name like Edward or Charles?

Edmund? (No relation to Blackadder, one trusts)

:D Good try! Obviously doing your homework, granddad and dad having that name, getting a bit warmer.

:DMoJoBrad - don't worry no offence taken nor meant, I was just waiting for all those Blind Eye, Blood, Chequer Board suggestions to surface. Oh and yes William Nelson was his next older brother who suceeded to his titles after Trafalgar. He just wasn't his oldest brother.

:D Nice weather for fishing, see if you get any bites MoJoBrad - sorry I'm not SCREAMING just haven't worked out how to quote from two different posts yet. :D:D:D

sorry I'm not SCREAMING just haven't worked out how to quote from two different posts yet. :D:D:D

Just click on the "Quote" button at the bottom right of the post(s) you want to quote (it should highlight in red). Then click "Add Reply" and the posts will be there for you :D

Edited by Nediam

Are you looking for Maurice Nelson?

Technically Edmund and Horatio :Dwere his elder brothers (but they both died at a very young age and never "met" him).

The brother that he would have been able to "play with" would have been Maurice :D

Are you looking for Maurice Nelson?

Technically Edmund and Horatio :Dwere his elder brothers (but they both died at a very young age and never "met" him).

The brother that he would have been able to "play with" would have been Maurice :D

Nice one, and thanks for the tip. :D:D:D:D

DING!! and its over to you Nediam

Unscramble BOLDHEALTHYSTICKYCRUDEND to come up with the name of a musical act.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Can I assume that's right? Good.

To the nearest 100km, how far is the nearest part of France from New York City ?

DING!!! :D

To the nearest 100km, how far is the nearest part of France from New York City ?

I assuming this is some kind of trick question :D:D:D

I'll have a stab at 350k based on the French Embassy in D.C. being on "French Soil" :D

As the French don't recognise any off their extranious bits as being "overseas" I'll go for the smuggling capital off Newfoundland the Isles St Pierre and ?macon which must be about 1500 km northeast of NY.

That's off canada Aa, ya know Aa. Is that right Aa? :D

As the French don't recognise any off their extranious bits as being "overseas" I'll go for the smuggling capital off Newfoundland the Isles St Pierre and ?macon which must be about 1500 km northeast of NY.

That's off canada Aa, ya know Aa. Is that right Aa? :D

Nediam was right in that the answer I'm looking for was not in Brittany, for example.

I'll let you off not getting "St Pierre et Miquelon" exactly right, since apparently you guessed the distance right first time (I presume that had you been using maps etc you'd have been able to spell it... or is it a double bluff?).

Well done - DING - next...

I'll let you off not getting "St Pierre et Miquelon" exactly right, since apparently you guessed the distance right first time (I presume that had you been using maps etc you'd have been able to spell it... or is it a double bluff?).

Well done - DING - next...

:D Ashamed to say I guessed 1000 miles then did a rough conversion, so all those anti-imperial jibes have come back to haunt me! As for knowing, well if you've spent any time in the Maritimes you will have heard the complaints about stealing fish, smuggling, etc ...... :D:D:D

The Question: If Earth Caches were still allowed there is one place in Great Britain that realy should have one here, for it was the recognition of what these rocks meant that was the foundation of modern Earth Sciences. What place am I talking about and who did the recognising?

Is it the Dorset coastline?

I was thinking of a specific place on that coastline too, or maybe it's the cliffs in Norfolk.

Bit of a tough question to guess though, especially as we ain't supposed to be Googling :D :D :D

Edit for speeling :D

Edited by Nediam

I was thinking of a specific place on that coastline too, or maybe it's the cliffs in Norfolk.

I'll leave you anglers fishing, I'm off hunting down archived caches this afternoon. Oh and by the way, I may live in Norfolk but as Robert Burns would say "My heart is in the ..." :D:D

I'll leave you anglers fishing, I'm off hunting down archived caches this afternoon. Oh and by the way, I may live in Norfolk but as Robert Burns would say "My heart is in the ..." :D:D

Please quit with the fishing remarks :D We can at least have a guess if we don't know :D

I think Jango & Boba Fett has given us a big clue with the "Robert Burns "My heart is in the ..."" :D:D:D

I would now go for the "Great Glen" (Loch Ness and all that) in the Scottish Highlands :D

Edited by Nediam

Bit of a tough question to guess though, especially as we ain't supposed to be Googling :D :D :D

Edit for speeling :D

fantastic coastline, with about 4 earth caches already! I got the impression there isn;t an earth cacvhe at the 'answer' at the moment, is that right?

Siccar point

James Hutton

At Siccar point the lower part of the cliff shows layers of grey shale tilted to lie almost vertically, then immediately above this the upper part of the cliff shows near horizontal layers of red sandstone. This rock formation has became known as "Hutton's Unconformity".

James Hutton reasoned that there must have been several cycles, each involving deposition on the seabed, uplift with tilting and erosion then undersea again for further layers to be deposited, and there could have been many cycles before over an extremely long history.

It's the way round there no longer being Earth Caches by putting Regular Cache there instead....clever!