Got My 60cx, Now I've Got Some Questions

Got my 60cx today, one day earlier than I expected. Great reception, at one point I went into a room in the middle of my house that has no windows closed the door, and still got a lock on five satelites! A couple of strange things happened though, and I have a couple of questions.

I had some new Panasonic batteries that came with a digital camera, so I put those in when I first got the GPSr powered up fine got a lock then the screen blanked out, turned it back on again, same thing. Put in a set of NIHM batteries, worked fine. Thought the other batteries must be almost dead. Checked them with a multimeter, and they were good. The voltage showed 1.55. The unit has been working fine with the rechargables.

I saved a waypoint, it was there when I turned the unit on and off several times, then it was gone. I don't think I deleted it.

I saved a track from when I went on a short drive. After I saved it and had the unit sitting in my house it kept beeping and telling me that turn 6 was approaching?

Those are my odd experiences. Now the questions. How do I upload POI, waypoints, geocaches to this? I downloaded the latest GSAK and the Beta GPSbabel, but I don't see an option to export to the 60cx. Does the GPS need to be connected to the computer for GSAK to see it? I also tried to export a Pocket Query from GSAK to a .csv file and then use the custom POI loader to shoot them over. POI loader said that my .csv file was invalid. Any help would be great.

Also, how do you export a track from mapsource, so I can run it though GPSbabel and then put it on Google Earth. I can get it into mapsource, but the only export command is for the map.

I don't use GSAK so I'll let others comment on the issues related to its use. Some comments on your other issues.

1) Using a voltmeter with no load is not a good way to test batteries. They can show a properly high voltage when not loaded yet drop immediately when a load is connected.

2) Sounds like when you saved the tracklog on the unit that you also initiated the 'TrackBack' function where it guides you back along that same path (either in the original or reverse direction). That would explain the message about an upcoming turn.

3) There's no need to export a file from MapSource to view the tracklog in Google Earth. Update your MapSource to the latest version from the Garmin website and then under the View menu one of the items will be to view the track in GoogleEarth (provided you've installed that on your PC).

Yes, you must be connected, and the unit turned on for GSAK to work. Top of the toolbar, there is a thing marked "GPS" click on that, and go to "send waypoints" That should do it for you.

I thought of that after I posted this, and I didn't have a chance to test it until this morning. It didn't work so I will post at the GSAK forum.

The only way how to solve these problems is: read the documentation. And after that switch on the receiver. After managing all functions and Mapsource sw, then take care of other sw. There is no other way.

Or as we say in the Information Technology world - RTFM

nilgiri put it in a much more polite way :(