How To Set 60csx To Turn Off Electronic Compass Once Moving?

"I do have the compass set to automatically turn off when I start moving since the satellite tracking is more reliable when moving and not affected by local magnetic fields, etc."

I read this earlier in a post, how do you set it do that? I don't like when I am walking to a cache and when my arm swings the map changes......

you can toggle the compass on or off by pressing and holding the PAGE key

but it looks like on the setup - heading page - there is a field where you can select it to swith to compass heading below BLANK MPH for more than BLANK time...I guess that is where I need to try it

Edited by birddog14

Yup that is where you do it. Menu, Setup, Heading.... Change it to 0mph or after 90 seconds or some other time period and it will kick on the compass automatically after it has sat at 0mph for 90 seconds.

Thanks,

kgag.

Yup that is where you do it. Menu, Setup, Heading.... Change it to 0mph or after 90 seconds or some other time period and it will kick on the compass automatically after it has sat at 0mph for 90 seconds.

This is a dangerous, or let's better say: inconvenient setting.

Only under rare circumstances it will stay at 0mph for 90 seconds.

Even under quite good reception conditions it is likely that you will get at least one position in 90 seconds which is far away enough so that the unit will compute a velocity above 0mph (though you have not moved it).

That not only means that the compass will never turn on automatically, but worse: if you turn it on manually with the page key it will turn off itself nearly immediately (because the unit thinks at the next position calculation that you moved).

In the latter case you will not recognize that on the compass page (it will tell you the compass is on, though it turned itself off), but you will see it immediately on the map page (I configured it in a way that the upper side of the map always shows the direction where I go): The map changes immediately to the gps-direction instead of the compass direction.

That drove me crazy at first, because I used a comparable setting than you recommended above, and when I turned the compass on manually, the map changed for one second to the correct direction, and a few seconds later changed back to the (newly calculated) GPS-direction.

It took me a day to recognize what the problem was, and after I changed the setting back to 10mph and 5 seconds, everything was fine.

I feared that the compass would now activate itself when I am walking (because i don't walk with 10mph ;) ), but it doesn't, and so I can conveniently turn it on and off manually with the page key, exactly like I want it.

Edited by NewZealand

This is a dangerous, or let's better say: inconvenient setting.

Only under rare circumstances it will stay at 0mph for 90 seconds.

Even under quite good reception conditions it is likely that you will get at least one position in 90 seconds which is far away enough so that the unit will compute a velocity above 0mph (though you have not moved it).

That not only means that the compass will never turn on automatically, but worse: if you turn it on manually with the page key it will turn off itself nearly immediately (because the unit thinks at the next position calculation that you moved).

In the latter case you will not recognize that on the compass page (it will tell you the compass is on, though it turned itself off), but you will see it immediately on the map page (I configured it in a way that the upper side of the map always shows the direction where I go): The map changes immediately to the gps-direction instead of the compass direction.

That drove me crazy at first, because I used a comparable setting than you recommended above, and when I turned the compass on manually, the map changed for one second to the correct direction, and a few seconds later changed back to the (newly calculated) GPS-direction.

It took me a day to recognize what the problem was, and after I changed the setting back to 10mph and 5 seconds, everything was fine.

I feared that the compass would now activate itself when I am walking (because i don't walk with 10mph <_< ), but it doesn't, and so I can conveniently turn it on and off manually with the page key, exactly like I want it.

I just received my 60CSx and I'm a little confused about the advantage of using the compass. Wouldn't I want to rely more on the GPS heading considering the need for it to held level for an accurate compass heading?

I just received my 60CSx and I'm a little confused about the advantage of using the compass. Wouldn't I want to rely more on the GPS heading considering the need for it to held level for an accurate compass heading?

The GPS heading will only be useful while you are on the move. When standing still, the GPS has no reference of where it is facing. In this case you need the compass which determins direction from the earth's magnetic field.